Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

good one from Forbes.

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 6 Replies
4 moms liked this

http://www.forbes.com/sites/billflax/2013/01/22/want-to-tell-the-state-to-stick-it-homeschool-your-kids/

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM

hahahahah so thats why hsing not so popular!!!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM

That was a great read, thanks for sharing!

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Thanks for sharing that.  It was a really good read.

vamom21
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Thank You for posting this article.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Awesome! I love articles that tell the "system" to get bent. ahahahahaha   

MaySheWillStay
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Not sure this helps anything. In the first place, it paints homeschoolers as religious, paranoid about government, conservative and patriotic, and doing it as a defiance against an imaginary enemy state.

I'm sure in some areas of the country, that is true. When I was a kid, it certainly was. But that's not reality any more. Not a universal reality, anyway. We're in western Wash, one of the most liberal areas of the country, and homeschooling thrives here and in large part, is supported by the local government. While there are some fringey "gubbermint is out to get me!" types, most we know are not like that.

The typical profile of a homeschooling family, in our area, is not a long-haired, plaid-jumpered gun-toting bible-thumper with a dozen kids. It's a well-off, college-educated family with a child or multiple children who are not served well by the system, or who desire to break away from some of the nastier effects of the system. Many have gifted or special needs children who would fall through the cracks in public schools.

I know it's exciting to see anything in the media that looks even a little pro-homeschooling, but setting it up as a weapon of the culture war and painting all homeschoolers with the same fringey brush, especially when that does not represent a changing demographic of homeschoolers, does no service to anyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)