Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 7 Replies

I don't know what to do.  My 2 yo wants to learn to read.  I wasn't expecting to teach him until he was a bit older.  I'm horrible without hand holding and a direction to go.  My 11 didn't start reading until she had to and she wasn't proficient in it until last year.  Even now she has difficulty reading out loud.   HELP! 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Start with basic letter sounds.  Look into Leap Frog's talking letter factory.  That is a great start.  Once they have those down then start blending consonants with vowels sounds.  Good luck, but this would be a great start.

sheila5745
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Leap Frog is great.. We used them so much they wore out and had to get new ones. Love them.  They also have my first books. pictures with the words. My child has autism and she would sit and look at those books for ever. She tried talking and just mumbled until she was 5. Please let the child go for it. flash cards are also a great idea. Recipe cards and write words on them. Look at a short story and write some of those words, see how well he does.

Enjoy that he wants to learn, one day it might not be so easy on you! Good luck..

Quoting coala:

Start with basic letter sounds.  Look into Leap Frog's talking letter factory.  That is a great start.  Once they have those down then start blending consonants with vowels sounds.  Good luck, but this would be a great start.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Does the child know their letters (upper and lower case)? If not, start there. FROM there, I would recommend Starfall.com.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Starfall.com is how my kids got started with learning the phonics sounds. 

oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM

yes startfall is a good way to begin!

keep it fun and not pushy!

if your child has an easy soundable name start sounding with that, (the child doesnt have to know the letters to sound them) if not an easy soundable name try dad or mom, write the letters on index cards and teach child sounds, as the child gets the sound down, introduce another one!

How to tell if your child is ready to read!!

If you are in tune to your child you will be able to tell when he/she is ready to learn how to read. They have different ways of letting us know when the time comes.
1. Some of the kids learn the favorite books we read to them by heart and like to sit pretending to read them.
2.Some children ask us about words or letters. Whats that word say or whats that letter or how do you make that letter.
3.To see if the child is ready teach him/her to write or pronounce one or more sounds. Does he/she want to learn , seem interested in learning them? or does the child resist?

and if they are:

First Steps in reading

Its funny but you dont have to know the names of the letters to lean to read. To read
you just sound out the letters like in c a t. So you dont have to teach the names of
the letters when you are just starting out with reading.
Start out by teaching the child the forms of the letters and the sounds they make!
(one less burden on the child.) A good word to start with is the childs name!
So lets say you childs name is Sam, be sure to print it with the capital S (and the
other letters with the lower case.) Tell the child what the word says 'Sam' .
Let the child trace it with their fingers or a crayon or whatever you want to use.
Have the child look at it, even copy it if he/she is able. (Dont force it.)
If this is the first time you might have to guide the childs hand. Make the sound of
the 'S' as the child is tracing it. and say the name Sam.
A. while child is tracing letter
B. Say the sound of the letter(not the name remember)
C. and say the name out loud to child
when she/he starts recognizing her/his name and can also print it, you can add
more words beginning with that 'S' . After the child starts to recognize the
letter 'S' go on to other words!
Dont worry about using lined paper, just let the child form the letter freely on blank paper.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Thank you all.  I have good places to start now.  Sounds and letters.  He loves leap frog.  My daughter used letter factory and we still have the dvd some place.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM

If he wants to read let him just try keeping it fun so he will enjoy it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)