Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Electronics rule

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM
  • 21 Replies

"ALL electronics, including cell phones, are to be in the designated drawer or turned off by 7:00pm and will stay that way until morning" - this is a rule that I recently heard, and I love it, especially for teenagers with cell phones, tablets, computers, video games and all the other gadgets kids have today.  Does your family have a rule like this?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM

hahahah no rules!!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Nope!

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM
The rules for my boys' cell phone is at 9:30 cell phones are put on kitchen table until morning. They don't have any other electronics besides their tv and a ps2. They have to turn their game off by 9:30 also. They are allowed to watch tv until they fall aleep. Yes, I know, bad parent...lol. My husband and I also sleep with the tv on and so does my daughter. None of us can sleep without a little noise..lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jody59
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Sounds like a good rule. You might consider a bit later time for older children or as they age. Thus we staggered  their bed times and such, to reward maturing and growing up. Something for them to look forward to. Age equaled more responsibilities and privileges. Also their senior year of high school we basically took away all rules. Sort of a trial run on leaving the house for college.

Jody

Check Out The Writing Course

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Ummmm.... No. But my kids aren't ruled by their gadgets either. They love being active more than anything else. It's so much so that I have a difficult time keeping them reigned in on how active they would get.  They would over do activity if they could. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

No, we do not. DD11 is welcome to keep her cell phone on her - we know that her best friend isn't allowed to talk past 9 on school nights, so that isn't really a concern; also, she's often out playing in the neighborhood or riding bikes until well after dark and I prefer she have her cell phone on her. I do confiscate her ipad before bed, but that's around 10.

Does the rule go for the entire family? Lol - I couldn't do it. I usually call my mom and sisters later in the evening, my husband calls his father or a friend, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM
My boys just got their cell phone for christmas, so we set cell phone rules according to what we felt best. They are allowed to use tbeir cell phones until 10 on the weekends. I agree with you completely. As the boys have gotten older their responsibilities have increased, but so have their priveledges.

Quoting Jody59:

Sounds like a good rule. You might consider a bit later time for older children or as they age. Thus we staggered  their bed times and such, to reward maturing and growing up. Something for them to look forward to. Age equaled more responsibilities and privileges. Also their senior year of high school we basically took away all rules. Sort of a trial run on leaving the house for college.

Jody

Check Out The Writing Course

LilrockerMama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Mine are still young so I really don't have any rules. Everything is to be done before we play with any electronics though. And I will only allow them about an hour and then they need to put it away and find some other way to entertain themselves
srichtermom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM

My dd is going to be 10 so we don't have any cell phones yet but she does have an Ipod.  Our rules for both her and her 4 year old brother is no electronics after dinnertime including TV or videogames.  They have early bedtimes so it's not a big deal for them.

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:05 AM

No. DS is only 9. He doesn't have a cell phone. He doesn't use his computer after dinner most days by his own choice. He has a Kendle Fire that he can use as long as he isn't in trouble for anything. I will probably have some kind of rule like that once he is older and his friends have cells and social media pages.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)