Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"ALL electronics, including cell phones, are to be in the designated drawer or turned off by 7:00pm and will stay that way until morning" - this is a rule that I recently heard, and I love it, especially for teenagers with cell phones, tablets, computers, video games and all the other gadgets kids have today.  Does your family have a rule like this?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
leighp1
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Nope, no rules for us.  As long as their work is done, they can play until bedtime.  My older one (15) plays her xbox until she almost falls asleep (she falls asleep at 7 or 8) and my little one (11) plays on her ipad until she gets bored (around 7) and then goes to bed.  We all watch tv until we fall asleep.  Yep, bad habit, but one I can't break for me either.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM
My girls are young, but I wish I could make hubby turn his phone off when he walks in the door. It nevee fails he will get a text or email from his boss at 6 pm, telling him something *has* to be done the next morning - on his day off. (thats where he is now instead of in bed with me)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I actually like that rule.  I forces them to engage in other activities or with theirl family ( gasp).  Mine are still so young that this doesn't really apply to us yet.  They have a tablet (tiny little thing) that they share.  It has a few games and a ton of books for them to read.  They have to have earned the time to spend on the tablet, but I prefer that they use other means to entertain themselves at this point.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, we are all attached to our technology....you'd have to pry my iPad out of my cold dead fingers...lol

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

No, and I never will.  If you are going to have this rule then you should follow it as well.  I talk to my kids about the joy of having variety in their lives.  I model the choices I want them to have.  If I notice them playing a lot of electronics then I suggest we do something fun together.   I talk to them about why we should have multiple interests.  I ask what else have you done today.  I remember them of the goals they are working on.  My goal is for them to learn to limit themselves.  Designated drawer for kids  implies you don't trust them.    

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Our rules are:

No tablets, video games, etc, between 9am and 4pm unless it is something I assigned for school. Missie's cell phone gets turned off at bedtime which is usually 9pm.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM
The rule doesn't say it is designated for the kids. We have a drawer that I outfitted with an outlet for charging everything. Both tablets, dhs phone, and our battery chargers are all there. Imo it's great to have a place where electronics are expected to be. And no one is allowed to have technology at the dinner tAble. That includes the adults. It's our time to connect.

Quoting jen2150:

No, and I never will.  If you are going to have this rule then you should follow it as well.  I talk to my kids about the joy of having variety in their lives.  I model the choices I want them to have.  If I notice them playing a lot of electronics then I suggest we do something fun together.   I talk to them about why we should have multiple interests.  I ask what else have you done today.  I remember them of the goals they are working on.  My goal is for them to learn to limit themselves.  Designated drawer for kids  implies you don't trust them.    

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

So what happens if your children want to use them.  Are they allowed?  We have designated outlets but it is their responsibility to charge them.  It also their responsibility to make good use of their time.  Technology can be a great way to connect with one another.  It is a tool just like anything else.  It is neither good or bad.  I can't tell you how many times I had fun playing a game on the wii with my son.  Dinner time is for eating so there is no room for any type of technology.  Books can also take away time from family.  Does that make books a bad thing.  Technology can help fire a child's imagination and they can also inspire a child to build something.  I connect with my children all day long even while they are playing on my nook or the wii. I talk to them about why it is important to do more than play on the wii or on the computers.   Personally I think rules like these interfere with kids learning how to limit themselves.  Do what you think is right. I am not saying you shouldn't have this rule but I was just explaining why I would never have this rule. I don't believe you should limit things that our children are passionate about.  You should encourage them to have more than one passion though.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The rule doesn't say it is designated for the kids. We have a drawer that I outfitted with an outlet for charging everything. Both tablets, dhs phone, and our battery chargers are all there. Imo it's great to have a place where electronics are expected to be. And no one is allowed to have technology at the dinner tAble. That includes the adults. It's our time to connect.

Quoting jen2150:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM
No technology is allowed at the dinner table. Period. Not for them or for us. We also play the Wii together, we play on the tablet together. Books are not allowed at the dinner table either, which was actually much harder for my oldest this year. I'm saying that the rule did not necessarily pertain just to the kids. Yes they can be a good tool, but it is also good to connect without the use of these tools as well.
It's not about trust. It's about everything having its place. The kids never question it, they simply know that when the tablets and phone are nor being used they are in their station. They wouldn't carry their toothbrush upstairs and leave it on their pillow, same goes for the technology in our house.
Our kids also know they sleep better if they have no screen time for the last hour before bed, so they wouldn't even think about picking up their tablets after supper. It's just not done.
We don't have to have a rule like this, they just know it's better for them to leave it where it is. They also know that they will be able to find it if it is in its place.

Quoting jen2150:

So what happens if your children want to use them.  Are they allowed?  We have designated outlets but it is their responsibility to charge them.  It also their responsibility to make good use of their time.  Technology can be a great way to connect with one another.  It is a tool just like anything else.  It is neither good or bad.  I can't tell you how many times I had fun playing a game on the wii with my son.  Dinner time is for eating so there is no room for any type of technology.  Books can also take away time from family.  Does that make books a bad thing.  Technology can help fire a child's imagination and they can also inspire a child to build something.  I connect with my children all day long even while they are playing on my nook or the wii. I talk to them about why it is important to do more than play on the wii or on the computers.   Personally I think rules like these interfere with kids learning how to limit themselves.  Do what you think is right. I am not saying you shouldn't have this rule but I was just explaining why I would never have this rule. I don't believe you should limit things that our children are passionate about.  You should encourage them to have more than one passion though.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jen2150:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkschoolhouse
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM

No electronics rule here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)