Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

productivity vs. creativity

Posted by   + Show Post

I've reached the midway point of my first HS year with my fourth grader, and somehow I am getting caught in a struggle to find a balance between making sure our day is productive and allowing for freedom and creativity. I realize that the main benefit of HS is freedom to work outside of a rigid schedule, but I guess a schedule is just ingrained in my psyche. Dont' want my desire to pass on appreciation for productivity to be a negative point for my DS. Any feedback is appreciated.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Replies (11-12):
vamom21
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Thank You all for the helpful responses, the website referrals are awesome!

vamom21
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Hi Oredeb, sorry for the delayed response about my daily schedule! It's been hectic since we sent my hubs off for deployment with the Army. We actually participate in a local church school that meets on T and TH for a classroom setting with a certified teacher who oversees our work. On Mon, Wed, and Fri my fourth grader is all mine...In an ideal world, we would start the day with Math, bcse that's when you're supposed to be the most alert but we prefer to start with either History (his favorite subject) or zoology. I incorporate references to online resources like Liberty Kids video and National Geographic for kids for zoology. My preschool daughter meanwhile is usually busy painting or playing with her toys while big brother and I discuss his subjects. We then have outdoor time in the yard followed by grammar and reading. We actually leave math (Saxon Math) for last. When brother is reading or drawing a history page, (drawing of a historic scene with a paragraph about the scene) I like to put on a Kindermusik CD on for my preschooler. We follow the prompts and have lots of fun. Now the past two weeks have been hectic bcse we try to communicate with my husband on the other side of the world at different times so our sleep schedule is off. I have been accomodating for missing Daddy attacks as well. So productivity is a BAD word around here now because I believe in dealing with what my kids are going through emotionally during this time that they are missing their Dad instead of numbing them from feelings. The more I read about "unschooling" the more I like it really. I'm thinking of maybe going 100% homeschool next year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)