Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The Fundamentals Of Homeschooling ....

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 9 Replies

These are some good thoughts to ponder while you go about your day. :)

The beauty of homeschooling is shaping the heart, mind, and character of your child.

I love homeschooling.  I love everything about it, from the sleepy morning kisses to planning the school year to the bad days where we have many tears.  Yes, I embrace all of it and see it as a gift given to me by a Father that loves me and my children with a depth I cannot comprehend!  Over the years I have learned 3 basic ways that make homeschooling easier and parenting my children sheer joy!

#1  No criticizing or complaining

I have made the commitment not to criticize my children’s shortcomings in ANY area.  They grow and mature in an environment of encouragement and love.  When I am picking them to pieces about everything from the way they write to how they made their bed, they are learning that they cannot do it good enough for me and they don’t measure up.  Which is NOT how I want them to grow up.  I want to gently lead, teach and correct with LOVE.  I also made up my mind that I would not complain about homeschooling or the events that I miss because of our decision to homeschool.

#2  Be Appreciative

I am constantly amazing at how much better my children do their school work and chores when I am appreciative of the little things they do.  Instead of noticing what they don’t do, I try to find what they are doing right and praise them for it.  And you know what?  The other little things that need correction, usually correct themselves with no criticism.  Our words hold the power of life and death.  What we say often sticks with our children for many years to come, whether good or bad!

#3  Arouse an eager want of learning

Homeschooling should be fun, the love of learning is being deeply instilled in our children.  There are many ways to arouse an eager want to learning:  a house full of good books, spending time reading together, watching movies, playing games, spending time with different types of people, serving others.  All these and many more create an insatiable desire to learn and know more.  The most important thing is to create the environment of learning.  I love homeschooling for the very reason that when one of my children find something amazing we can spend time exporing in deepth because we have the time to do that.  Be careful that you don’t become so busy that you forget to really learn.  Learning is not something we cross off our to-do list.

You maybe saying that these don’t have much to do with reading, writing and math.  But, you see, these three techniques are attitudes of honor that are created in our homes that allows for school, as we know it, to actually happen and happen well.  For education to truly happen to its fullest, there must be an environment that is chock full of honor and love.  I encourage you to pray about how you can begin impelementing these underlying ideas in your school day and your parenting.  Watch and see what happens!

undefined

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I can agree with everything except number one. I do believe in the power of constructive criticism and I believe it's something every child needs.

I agree wholeheartedly with the rest. Great article! Thank you!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I agree with AutymsMommy here.  It is how you do it that is important.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I can agree with everything except number one. I do believe in the power of constructive criticism and I believe it's something every child needs.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I like this a lot. And here's my two cents on number one lol. There needs to be a balance. I came from a home that my mom critiqued everything. She said she was trying to teach us to do things correctly. Thing was we could do something correctly but if it wasn't her way she would criticize it. I sometimes find myself doing the same thing, so this is a reminder not to criticize everything and try to do what needs it with a better attitude.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Great advice!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Thank you.  :)

Don't you think that constructive criticism and criticizing for criticizing's sake are not the same? 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I agree. It is very important in how you mete out constructive criticism. 

Quoting bren_darlene:

I agree with AutymsMommy here.  It is how you do it that is important.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You could be holding up a mirror and see me. I had the same type of childhood myself. 

This is the key sentence in Number 1....

When I am picking them to pieces about everything from the way they write to how they made their bed, they are learning that they cannot do it good enough for me and they don’t measure up.

Quoting Dawn07:

I like this a lot. And here's my two cents on number one lol. There needs to be a balance. I came from a home that my mom critiqued everything. She said she was trying to teach us to do things correctly. Thing was we could do something correctly but if it wasn't her way she would criticize it. I sometimes find myself doing the same thing, so this is a reminder not to criticize everything and try to do what needs it with a better attitude.

undefined

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the reminder I need. Not to pick them to pieces.

Quoting kirbymom:

You could be holding up a mirror and see me. I had the same type of childhood myself. 

This is the key sentence in Number 1....

When I am picking them to pieces about everything from the way they write to how they made their bed, they are learning that they cannot do it good enough for me and they don’t measure up.

Quoting Dawn07:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Definitely agree. I criticize when something can be gained from the criticism; I only criticize when i know that what they are currently doing is something that will negatively affect them in the future.

Quoting kirbymom:

Thank you.  :)

Don't you think that constructive criticism and criticizing for criticizing's sake are not the same? 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)