Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Snow Day! ...but not for us!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 7 Replies

We have been having such a hard time getting back into the swing of things since Christmas break so even though all the other schools are closed for a snow day, we're still going. The problem I'm facing today now: I watch my neighbor's daughter (same age as mine) usually after school since she's a single mom and works all week...soooo...I'm watching her today too. Trying to get my daughter to focus on her work is next to impossible! I have tried sitting my neighbor's daughter down telling her she cannot be goofing around with my daughter, she has to get her work done...but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried having her do the work with her - even bigger mistake...They will not focus at all and nothing is accomplished. Normally I'd have my neighbor's daughter go play in my daughter's room, but Hubby works nights and is sleeping right now and has to work tonight yet...I don't even let my kids upstairs while he's sleeping unless they're reading or taking a nap themselves.
I'm getting SO frustrated because I don't want to have to spend another week on review yet and I'm fairly positive my daughter hasn't heard a THING that was gone over today....

Anyone else watch someone else's kids that are public/private schooled during the day? What do you do to still get homework done?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I would do a little negotiating.  I would tell your DD that if she finishes this then she can have a 10 min break and keep doing it until you have finished for the day.  I would also find something for the other child to do while you DD is working.  Go print her a worksheet or 2 to keep her hands busy.  Maybe find something educational that they need to work on together.  Just a few suggestions.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM

we live in VA so we don't usually get too much snow.  We have snow so we are taking advantage of it.  Last year my kids didn't get to play in any snow.  Maybe have her play out in the snow and then come back and do some snow activities.  I know there are a lot of activities online.  If I lived where I get a lot of snow I probably wouldn't be taking a snow day.  I don't watch any children but if I did  I would just take a snow day or plan some fun games or activity for everyone to do together.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I would make today an educational game day & have them play games that help them strengthen what they have been learning that way the one girl isn't a distraction or feeling left out!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Thanks everyone. I finally managed to break a little ground. I made a deal that if my daughter could successfully get all her work done, then we could go play in the snow (we're in WV so snow days are rare here too). I had my neighbor's daughter do a few art projects with mine that were very spur of the moment ideas. Instead of just doing what we were for geography (we just finished the spectrum work book which ends on Consumers, Producers, and Decomposers), so we did comic strips illustrating a food chain using those key words in them. Each girl made their own. Since my neighbor's daughter is struggling in math, we sang and danced to a bunch of different skip counting songs to work on multiplication skills...hopefully... we played a few flash card games for math too.
It just seems that on the subjects my daugher is struggling herself at, are the ones that I can't keep them both and my little guy busy and my daughter is still suffering and not retaining anything because of the constant distraction... I gave my neighbor's daughter books to choose from, the remote for the TV, showed her how to switch to video games, gave her a ton of other games to choose from, my little guy offered to play with her - there were a half a dozen options to chose from to keep her preoccupied when I was trying to get mine to do her work and nothing seemed to "be interesting" apparently, and she sat by us and when I turned my back for a few seconds they're both giggling and not paying attention...

We took an hour break for lunch (very late lunch) and they got to play together for a little while I fixed our desktop...and the silliness wore down a little, so hopefully we can finish up the last few things...

oredeb
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM

what about teaching the child you watch also? afterschool school!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

oddly enough, I do tutor her in math after I pick her up from school (since I usually have her til 8:30/9 pm most days a week after school). My daughter works on the few things she has to finish up and does chores...and is completely out of the way and non disruptive when I'm working with my neighbor's daugther...I just can't get her to show the same respect when I work with my daughter. Unless we're doing hands on stuff (which unfortunatly can't always be done...some instruction and explainations usually are needed along with writing things down since that's the only way my daughter remembers things) she will not let my daughter focus...constant whispering, giggles, and throwing school supplies.  At least I accomplished a little today... *trying to look on the bright side* lol

Quoting oredeb:

what about teaching the child you watch also? afterschool school!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Perfect! There is a compromise and everyone wins.  School still happens and playtime still happens.  :)  

Quoting coala:

I would do a little negotiating.  I would tell your DD that if she finishes this then she can have a 10 min break and keep doing it until you have finished for the day.  I would also find something for the other child to do while you DD is working.  Go print her a worksheet or 2 to keep her hands busy.  Maybe find something educational that they need to work on together.  Just a few suggestions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)