Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Currently I work full time and my husband stays home with the 3 kids. They are homeschooled and in 1st, 3rd, and 4th grade. He would teach during the day and then nights I would follow up with more detail and answer questions. Lately though I have been getting out of work late because of tax season and haven't been able to sit with them. To make things worse my hubby is going through a bit of depression, that no matter what I do, he won't come out of it. And of course he refuses to see a doctor. Well because of this he hasn't even been doing school with the kids. They still haven't finished December's school work. I feel like I am short changing their education. I am ready to give up and put them in school. They are smart kids but I am fearful they won't fit in at a normal public school. Especially my son with his ADHD. So I have started looking into Charter schools. I can't afford a private school.

Ladies, in your opinion, do I give up and put them in school or try and find a way to get homeschool working for us again? Any suggestions would be great. I feel extremely lost. And I hate the idea of leaving their education up to a stranger.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (11-12):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

At least you are trying to figure out what you need to do. That is what counts here. And, I am sorry that your hubby is in the place he is in at the moment.  I can understand the place he is in. I know that it isn't easy where he is at, to put effort into anything. Just keep being there for him as best as you can. It does make a difference. In the long run. I also know that it isn't easy to have to carry the burden alone either. But, you are not alone anymore. We, here in this group, are here for you when you are in need.  Anytime you feel like you need a shoulder or a place to escape to, just come a runnin'.  :)   

Quoting DesireMM:

Thank you so very much for the advise. We went to an open house that the Charter school near us had. And OH MY!!! What was I thinking... I can't do it. We are going to work more on weekends to get caught up. And then talking with the kids, we have agreed to try a different method for school next year. One where my 3rd and 4th grader can work more independently.

P.S. Unfortunately the hubby didn't seem to care that I was going to put them in public school. So the kids and I will figure this out on our own.

undefined

oredeb
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM

great decision desire, so glad your gona work on homeschooling the kids, i know you can all do it!

Quoting DesireMM:

Thank you so very much for the advise. We went to an open house that the Charter school near us had. And OH MY!!! What was I thinking... I can't do it. We are going to work more on weekends to get caught up. And then talking with the kids, we have agreed to try a different method for school next year. One where my 3rd and 4th grader can work more independently.

P.S. Unfortunately the hubby didn't seem to care that I was going to put them in public school. So the kids and I will figure this out on our own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)