Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sad and Frustrated!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 15 Replies
2 moms liked this

I've been sad listening to the news all week long about the Griego Family who were from my state.  A mother, father, and three kids (ages 9 and under) were all murdered by their 15 year old son/brother.  It's so hard to comprehend how things could have gone so terribly wrong for something like this to happen.  There are just so many unanswered questions right now. 

One of the things that really frustrates me is that the media is so quick to judge and come up with their own answers.  The fact that this child and his siblings were being homeschooled is something that keeps coming up.  In fact I just finished reading an article in the New York Daily News that stated the following as it's headline:  " New Mexico homeschooled teen Nehemiah Griego accused of murdering family, planned to keep killing at local Walmart ". 

If this kid was being educated in the public school system, I highly doubt that the headlines would have read "New Mexico public school teen......"
I guess you all get my point.  I just get frustrated with how the media always has to throw that in whenever something goes wrong with a child who is being homeschooled.  It's almost as if homeschooling is to blame for why this child decided to murder his family.  We hear of horrendous acts that take place on a daily basis and the majority of these suspects (both children and adults) were educated in both public schools and private schools.  

I'm sorry, I could keep going on and on so I better stop here.  I just needed to vent.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM

**speechless**   :(

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM

wow!!  I have no words!!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

It is angering the way it is being portrait. The guns where not locked in a gun safe separate from the ammunition! To me that is more important information then him being homeschooled. The whole thing would have never happened the way it did if the guns had been stored properly!

denmomof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

usmom3, I completely agree with you!  There are so many other factors that come into play but yet the media chooses something like homeschooling?  Wow!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Holy Cow! This is the first I have heard about this news. I am not sure how much I would believe of this story. I mean, how do we know that her really said that he did this act? How do we know that HE even did it? Are we going to go by the word of someone who wasn't there? This is why I would be suspicious....

"Sheriff Dan Houston said Tuesday there was no indication Griego intended to harm anyone at the church." 

They say he also told them he had reloaded the family's rifles and taken them with him in the family van with plans to randomly shoot more people.

Do these two statements even seem remotely similar in thought? And the they in this statement is the same police above. I'm sorry, but I just don't think this story is quite accurate. I think there are big chunks missing and those chuncks are deliberately missing. This is not the first article breaking news about teens and guns. Ever since the Sandy School Shootings. There have been several news breaking stories. The war that has been declared on guns is what is fueling these news articles. I just find this a bit unsettling, to say the least. 

Quoting denmomof3:

I've been sad listening to the news all week long about the Griego Family who were from my state.  A mother, father, and three kids (ages 9 and under) were all murdered by their 15 year old son/brother.  It's so hard to comprehend how things could have gone so terribly wrong for something like this to happen.  There are just so many unanswered questions right now. 

One of the things that really frustrates me is that the media is so quick to judge and come up with their own answers.  The fact that this child and his siblings were being homeschooled is something that keeps coming up.  In fact I just finished reading an article in the New York Daily News that stated the following as it's headline:  " New Mexico homeschooled teen Nehemiah Griego accused of murdering family, planned to keep killing at local Walmart ". 

If this kid was being educated in the public school system, I highly doubt that the headlines would have read "New Mexico public school teen......"
I guess you all get my point.  I just get frustrated with how the media always has to throw that in whenever something goes wrong with a child who is being homeschooled.  It's almost as if homeschooling is to blame for why this child decided to murder his family.  We hear of horrendous acts that take place on a daily basis and the majority of these suspects (both children and adults) were educated in both public schools and private schools.  

I'm sorry, I could keep going on and on so I better stop here.  I just needed to vent.

undefined

denmomof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Like I said Kirbymom, so many unanswered questions right now.  It was really hard for me to digest when I first heard and then read about it. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Holy Cow! This is the first I have heard about this news. I am not sure how much I would believe of this story. I mean, how do we know that her really said that he did this act? How do we know that HE even did it? Are we going to go by the word of someone who wasn't there? This is why I would be suspicious....

"Sheriff Dan Houston said Tuesday there was no indication Griego intended to harm anyone at the church." 

They say he also told them he had reloaded the family's rifles and taken them with him in the family van with plans to randomly shoot more people.

Do these two statements even seem remotely similar in thought? And the they in this statement is the same police above. I'm sorry, but I just don't think this story is quite accurate. I think there are big chunks missing and those chuncks are deliberately missing. This is not the first article breaking news about teens and guns. Ever since the Sandy School Shootings. There have been several news breaking stories. The war that has been declared on guns is what is fueling these news articles. I just find this a bit unsettling, to say the least. 

Quoting denmomof3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM

It really does make one ponder the workings of such actions, whether based in truth or whether based in lies.  Make me sad that I even would have to go this direction in the first place. :( 

Quoting denmomof3:

Like I said Kirbymom, so many unanswered questions right now.  It was really hard for me to digest when I first heard and then read about it. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Holy Cow! This is the first I have heard about this news. I am not sure how much I would believe of this story. I mean, how do we know that he really said that he did this act? How do we know that HE even did it? Are we going to go by the word of someone who wasn't there? This is why I would be suspicious....

Quoting denmomof3:

undefined

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

We are 5 hours away from there & it has been on the local news here sense Tuesday.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting denmomof3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I am a news hound and I can't believe that I missed this. All I can say is *wow*.  

May I ask what  your area is saying about this news story?  

Quoting usmom3:

We are 5 hours away from there & it has been on the local news here sense Tuesday.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting denmomof3:

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM

It is pretty much the same news story that everyone else is telling.

Quoting kirbymom:

I am a news hound and I can't believe that I missed this. All I can say is *wow*.  

May I ask what  your area is saying about this news story?  

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kirbymom:

"Sheriff Dan Houston said Tuesday there was no indicationGriego intended to harm anyone at the church." 

Quoting denmomof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)