Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Spelling challenges...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 12 Replies

my dd age 11 is very much a phonetic speller...trying quite hard to get her to 'conform' to the spelling rules is not so easy.

Advice? Not looking to buy any spelling program, as funds are limited. Thank you.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Hi. :)  I would suggest some verbal and written repitionous play on words and or sounds with the words or letters you are teaching with at the moment.  You might try and put up flash cards you made with the same on them throughout the house on eye level so that she is surrounded  by that everywhere she goes in the house.  :)   

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Playing games like scrabble, words with friends, banana grams, & other games like that can help with spelling skills & they are fun too. My suggestion is let her use a dictionary when playing the games so that she isn't easily frustrated.

PeaceChild
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:10 PM

In a word...Thanks!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Usmom is right about the games!
Also when you make up a spelling list for the week, stick to just 1 rule for a week or two. Like give only words that use y for the long I...sky, why, etc. Keep it simple and repetitive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM

This is sort of what my DD is doing in 1st grade with her spelling words.  They give a sound....er, ir, and ur and all the spelling words have that sound and I give activities to help enhance that.  I have her write them in alphabetic order, reverse alphabetic order, a word scramble and then a word search both of which have NO word bank...it challanges the mind and the night before her test she has to write each word 10 times each.  As I child I had to write my spelling words 10x's each EVERY night.  My mom made us do this b/c she found it important for us to be really good spellers.  I started out our year this way and it was really boring for my DD so we changed it up.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Also when you make up a spelling list for the week, stick to just 1 rule for a week or two. Like give only words that use y for the long I...sky, why, etc. Keep it simple and repetitive.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I hated copying the words, but I loved using the words to write stories! My boys write a story Tuesdays using their spelling words and a story on Thursday's using their vocabulary words. The following day they go through the story and underline the words, check them and write any they missed 10xs each. But it gives them a chance to not have to do all that repetition!

Quoting coala:

This is sort of what my DD is doing in 1st grade with her spelling words.  They give a sound....er, ir, and ur and all the spelling words have that sound and I give activities to help enhance that.  I have her write them in alphabetic order, reverse alphabetic order, a word scramble and then a word search both of which have NO word bank...it challanges the mind and the night before her test she has to write each word 10 times each.  As I child I had to write my spelling words 10x's each EVERY night.  My mom made us do this b/c she found it important for us to be really good spellers.  I started out our year this way and it was really boring for my DD so we changed it up.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I tried giving her other fun activities to do with them, but she just isn't ready for them.  I tried having her write sentences with them....total flub 3 weeks in a row.  She is almost 7 and doesn't understand what it takes to truly make a sentence.  I had to try rhyming them....again EPIC FAIL.  She doesn't understand the concept of rhyming.  I blame ALL of this on my sister (this is my adopted child, that we got full custody of last Spring) b/c she didn't pay any attention to her DD or help reinforce anything that she was learning in pre-school or Kindergarten.  We are very slowly getting there and getting her up to par in the areas she is lacking.

OP:  I didn't mean to hijack your post....please forgive me.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I hated copying the words, but I loved using the words to write stories! My boys write a story Tuesdays using their spelling words and a story on Thursday's using their vocabulary words. The following day they go through the story and underline the words, check them and write any they missed 10xs each. But it gives them a chance to not have to do all that repetition!

Quoting coala:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

That's an awesome idea!  :)  

Quoting usmom3:

Playing games like scrabble, words with friends, banana grams, & other games like that can help with spelling skills & they are fun too. My suggestion is let her use a dictionary when playing the games so that she isn't easily frustrated.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

My 6 yr old is doing that right now.  Plus, I am teaching those very sounds. lol  

Quoting coala:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Oh that would be very difficult.  I would probably hold off on spelling lists until she had the basics down.  With my 5yo, I know that most of his words will be spelled phonetically, so I only look at the spelling list words for spelling.  I have him read me his story so that I know if it makes sense.  And he loves to watch the school house rock about Mr. Morton.... Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence and what the predicate says, he does.  I've often heard my 5yo humming it to make sure he has both a subject and predicate in his sentences!  :-)

Quoting coala:

I tried giving her other fun activities to do with them, but she just isn't ready for them.  I tried having her write sentences with them....total flub 3 weeks in a row.  She is almost 7 and doesn't understand what it takes to truly make a sentence.  I had to try rhyming them....again EPIC FAIL.  She doesn't understand the concept of rhyming.  I blame ALL of this on my sister (this is my adopted child, that we got full custody of last Spring) b/c she didn't pay any attention to her DD or help reinforce anything that she was learning in pre-school or Kindergarten.  We are very slowly getting there and getting her up to par in the areas she is lacking.

OP:  I didn't mean to hijack your post....please forgive me.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting coala:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)