Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

unschooling sort of

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 4 Replies
2 moms liked this

My dd is 4 years old 5 in May.  I do a few things with her here and there. She likes to play her "game" on the computer. It's starfall.com . She has pretty much taught herself the "games" on there. I was watching her today and she was doing addition! The subtraction was a little trickier for and she asked for my help. I was so proud of her I almost cried! A friend and I were talking about homeschooling today and how you could pretty much do only an hour a week  and they are probably learning the same amount as a child in school.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That is fantastic Brandy!  I have been experiencing the same in my home with my 4 yr old daughter. Of course she comes by it honestly. Her oldest sister and dad are the same way.  :)  

Homeschoolmom99
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM

There is no in my view "unschooling" since we teach our kids from day one! Ant is in a public charter he did not like any of the books on the list however he loves reading his classics to his new niece! He is reading! And went and got a new book with his own money to read to her!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM
2 moms liked this

That is definitely unschooling! For those of you that don't know unschooling is a word used to describe learning without the trappingsof school (textbooks, workbooks, worksheets & test). It dose not mean to not learn, it means to learn naturally the way nature intended us to!

Brandy85412
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I agree. I am just meaning in this case her teaching her self  and not me sitting her down and teaching her something. 

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

There is no in my view "unschooling" since we teach our kids from day one! Ant is in a public charter he did not like any of the books on the list however he loves reading his classics to his new niece! He is reading! And went and got a new book with his own money to read to her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN