Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Am I over-reacting?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

It's time for AIMSweb testing through our school (k12) and we were asked to choose a location/date on January 3rd.  I chose the closest location and the date was Tuesday 1/22.  On Monday I got a phone call at 10 PM cancelling due to weather conditions.  (It was 5 degrees Tuesday morning and we had gotten an inch of snow.)  Later on Tuesday a new class connect was scheduled to prepare our kids for the testing, but we weren't notified via email until 10 minutes before the session began, so we missed it.  Then we were told the reschedule was for Thursday (today) at the same time as we had been scheduled before.  My hubby changed his lunch plans to breakfast plans so he could be here with my youngest while I took the others to the test.  On Wednesday they again rescheduled saying the number of participants were small enough that we could do them all in the morning, so the times changed from 1:45 PM to 9 AM.  I emailed to say we were unable to change our plans and we could do it as scheduled or not at all.  They responded that they would accomodate us.  So when they cancelled again (temp today was 8 degrees with 5 inches of snow) they didn't contact us until 1 o'clock as we were walking out the door!  My family coach said that she would schedule a trip out to all of her "mountain" families for next week.

Since today is the end of the first semester, tomorrow is scheduled as a day off.  When we pull up the weekly plan the entire day has a huge sign that says no classes scheduled, Vacation Day.  Usually I don't check my email this late in the school day, but I wanted to make sure I had gotten everything since it will be a long weekend and we will have testing next week.  To my surprise I received an email from my oldest's teacher saying she is going to hold his testing tomorrow online at 10:15.

WTH????  It's a day off.  The kids planned on a day off.  We planned on playing in the snow since the temp is supposed to break tonight while the storm drops a new 10 inches on us.  They are excited!  We are going to have hot chocolate, make cookies, play video games.  It's not a day out or a field trip or anything, but it's something they were looking forward to.

So I guess my questions are, am I over-reacting by telling them to buzz off on our day off? And am I wrong to not make him take the test tomorrow?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow that is all frustrating, I would tell them to buzz off!

oredeb
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM

do you have to test????

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I've spent the last half hour writing and rewriting an email to nicely tell them to buzz off!  Poor Xave came down the stairs and read the email over my shoulder... he started begging immediately.  "Mommy, Please let me play tomorrow!  I have all my work done, we worked so hard to get ahead so we could take off the vacation days, please!!!"  He did a little dance when I told him that the alarm was shut off and we would be playing in the snow tomorrow.  I'm very frustrated with this school!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Quoting oredeb:

do you have to test????

Yes.  Now I'm getting why so few people say good things about these online public schools!

The tests are ... frustrating.  For my 5yo they are things like how high can you count in 1 minute, how many letters can you identify in 1 minute, etc.  For my 7yo it's a 10 minute math test with all kinds of questions...time, addition, subtraction, money, etc all rolled into one.

I like to really prepare the kids and have a good calm morning for them, but with how they keep jerking us around it makes it difficult.  And most kids have problems with timed tests to begin with.  I would think a school should know better!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

You are not wrong on either count!  My hubby and I have a saying, yes another saying is about to issue forth. lol Anyway, here it is.....

Your failure to plan, does not constitute an emergency for me!   

You tell them that....

j

Just because they can not get their duckies in a row, does not mean you are going to re-arrange your day for the um-teenth time just to suit their inability to plan appropriately.  

AND

One of the reasons we homeschool our kids is because the Bureaucracy can't find their behinds with both hands!  From this point forward, we are going to have an appropriate scheduling method. You will let me know 3 weeks ahead of time what your itinerary plans that involve me, so that if there needs to be a change in scheduling, it can be done in a reasonable amount of time, so that all involved can be prepared. If there is an emergency cancellation, I need a minimum of 48 business hours. Period.  If you can not find this method of scheduling appropriate, then just don't bother at all.  

And that is how we handle those kinds of situations.  They have become a rarity.  :)    

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Aww Honey. I can't wait until you guys are finally able to do this on your own!  What did hubby say?  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It's time for AIMSweb testing through our school (k12) and we were asked to choose a location/date on January 3rd.  I chose the closest location and the date was Tuesday 1/22.  On Monday I got a phone call at 10 PM cancelling due to weather conditions.  (It was 5 degrees Tuesday morning and we had gotten an inch of snow.)  Later on Tuesday a new class connect was scheduled to prepare our kids for the testing, but we weren't notified via email until 10 minutes before the session began, so we missed it.  Then we were told the reschedule was for Thursday (today) at the same time as we had been scheduled before.  My hubby changed his lunch plans to breakfast plans so he could be here with my youngest while I took the others to the test.  On Wednesday they again rescheduled saying the number of participants were small enough that we could do them all in the morning, so the times changed from 1:45 PM to 9 AM.  I emailed to say we were unable to change our plans and we could do it as scheduled or not at all.  They responded that they would accomodate us.  So when they cancelled again (temp today was 8 degrees with 5 inches of snow) they didn't contact us until 1 o'clock as we were walking out the door!  My family coach said that she would schedule a trip out to all of her "mountain" families for next week.

Since today is the end of the first semester, tomorrow is scheduled as a day off.  When we pull up the weekly plan the entire day has a huge sign that says no classes scheduled, Vacation Day.  Usually I don't check my email this late in the school day, but I wanted to make sure I had gotten everything since it will be a long weekend and we will have testing next week.  To my surprise I received an email from my oldest's teacher saying she is going to hold his testing tomorrow online at 10:15.

WTH????  It's a day off.  The kids planned on a day off.  We planned on playing in the snow since the temp is supposed to break tonight while the storm drops a new 10 inches on us.  They are excited!  We are going to have hot chocolate, make cookies, play video games.  It's not a day out or a field trip or anything, but it's something they were looking forward to.

So I guess my questions are, am I over-reacting by telling them to buzz off on our day off? And am I wrong to not make him take the test tomorrow?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Oh, you are good! I had such a hard time being nice in my emails. I was fed up! This morning they posted a funny day off picture on facebook and I let them have it both barrels! I'm goin to use that scheduling paragraph verbatim when I start the emails again on Monday!! Thanks so much!

Quoting kirbymom:

You are not wrong on either count!  My hubby and I have a saying, yes another saying is about to issue forth. lol Anyway, here it is.....

You tell them that....

j

Just because they can not get their duckies in a row, does not mean you are going to re-arrange your day for the um-teenth time just to suit their inability to plan appropriately.  

AND

One of the reasons we homeschool our kids is because the Bureaucracy can't find their behinds with both hands!  From this point forward, we are going to have an appropriate scheduling method. You will let me know 3 weeks ahead of time what your itinerary plans that involve me, so that if there needs to be a change in scheduling, it can be done in a reasonable amount of time, so that all involved can be prepared. If there is an emergency cancellation, I need a minimum of 48 business hours. Period.  If you can not find this method of scheduling appropriate, then just don't bother at all.  

And that is how we handle those kinds of situations.  They have become a rarity.  :)    

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM
He's been speechless about this run around. He still wants us to finish the year, but he's really coming around about the whole idea. He watched how much better Levi is doing using our hooked on phonics instead of their phonics works program. He's also decided they are working Xavier to death! The boy works for hours every.day. we have changed over a lot of our methods and we lie to them a lot anymore, but the family comes first...not their hoops, ya know?

Quoting kirbymom:

Aww Honey. I can't wait until you guys are finally able to do this on your own!  What did hubby say?  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Hahahaha ~  You are quite welcome. :)   We are just so tired of the bull and refuse to put up with it any more. The reason we became tthis way is when I as prego with our 2nd, I was a high risk pregnancy and had to go every other day to the clinic as that is where the doctor did his rounds. Well, they would set me a schedual and we would show up and then sit and wait for over 4 hours every time we went. Then we would be taken to the waiting cubicle and wait for another hour. Well, after many times of hubby having to take whole days off, he was livid. Our whole day would be virtually waiting on the doctor. Oh and btw, the doctor rarely ever showed up. I was taken care of by the nurses! So, hubby and I decided that we would go to the appointments, but if we waited longer than any 30 minute period, we would walk out and go home and call and re-schedule the appointment.  After a few times of doing this, they asked why. Hubby said that our time was just as important as their time was and if they couldn't get the doctor there on time or even bother showing up at all, we would keep doing this until they got a clue. Well, it didn't take too many more re-scheduled appointments for them to learn that they would not treat us that way any more. When we went in, even the doctor showed up and I was treated with more respect thatn I had ever been treated with before! lol   I mean, for goodness sakes. I was a high risk pregnancy and they refused to act like it. What really gets me though, is they would only treat me with respect when my hubby was around.  So he made sure he stayed around most of the time. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh, you are good! I had such a hard time being nice in my emails. I was fed up! This morning they posted a funny day off picture on facebook and I let them have it both barrels! I'm goin to use that scheduling paragraph verbatim when I start the emails again on Monday!! Thanks so much!

Quoting kirbymom:

You tell them that....

j

AND

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG! Yes! Absolutely.  :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

He's been speechless about this run around. He still wants us to finish the year, but he's really coming around about the whole idea. He watched how much better Levi is doing using our hooked on phonics instead of their phonics works program. He's also decided they are working Xavier to death! The boy works for hours every.day. we have changed over a lot of our methods and we lie to them a lot anymore, but the family comes first...not their hoops, ya know?

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)