Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum..

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM
  • 32 Replies
I'm really looking into curriculum for next year. I'm wondering if I could get your reviews on what you use? Ill have one in kindergarten, doing math and language arts. And 2nd grade, doing math, science history/geography/social studies and language arts. I don't know what alls out there. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KALmommy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

We use Sonlight and love it!  They don't have a math curriculum per se but they recommend some that you can buy in their core packages.  We used Singapore math.  My neighbor is a high school math teacher (but his wife homeschools their children) and he said Singapore is one of the best curriculums out there for math!  Good luck :)

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM
My K is doing Christian Liberty Press 1st Grade....using the curriculum kit, not the academy. I think that CLP has very strong language arts and math. DS is a bit accelerated and is soaring in both subjects. He used their K math last year and has a very strong mathematics foundation. He is reading well above grade level because of the phonics. I think the science is just OK and the history is weak...but OK for my K. I will continue the phonics, spelling, and math next year....but will use Memoria Press Literature, Beautiful Feet American History, and Noeo Science next year...and add in Prima Latina.

DD is using Memoria Press Jr. Kindergarten and
we love it....so far. Its still new. She will join DS in science and history next year and use Memoria Press Kindergarten for everything else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Thank you ladies so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilrockerMama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM
We are using alpha omega
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM
That's what I looked into. Horizons for my kinder and lifepac for my 2nd grader

Quoting LilrockerMama:

We are using alpha omega
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilrockerMama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Yep! Check out amazon I believe it's cheaper than the actual website
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I really like sonlight. It's kind of pricey though...

Quoting KALmommy:

We use Sonlight and love it!  They don't have a math curriculum per se but they recommend some that you can buy in their core packages.  We used Singapore math.  My neighbor is a high school math teacher (but his wife homeschools their children) and he said Singapore is one of the best curriculums out there for math!  Good luck :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:33 AM
I am using waldorfessentials.com for second grade (first grade waldorf) & may use christopherus for next year, havent decided. I really like what we are using now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Hi again CowGirlMama 0508,

My children are now grown, but I still tutor (K through 6th grade),  do home school workshops.  Because of my success in helping children to read I was recently invited to give  workshops at the University Of North Florida about how to teach reading.

What I do is easy....anyone can do it. All I use to teach phonics and reading is the game  Ring Around the phonics (books included).  But I also use it to  teach  other language arts too .    With  the game, I am able to   teach Up to 4 children   at the same time even if on different subjects or levels.  For example I can teach one child phonics, another spelling and a third child vocabulary.  It works like the old room school house in which the children learn from each other. 

For Math, I like Math U See

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!!

Quoting romacox:

Hi again CowGirlMama 0508,

My children are now grown, but I still tutor (K through 6th grade),  do home school workshops.  Because of my success in helping children to read I was recently invited to give  workshops at the University Of North Florida about how to teach reading.

What I do is easy....anyone can do it. All I use to teach phonics and reading is the game  Ring Around the phonics (books included).  But I also use it to  teach  other language arts too .    With  the game, I am able to   teach Up to 4 children   at the same time even if on different subjects or levels.  For example I can teach one child phonics, another spelling and a third child vocabulary.  It works like the old room school house in which the children learn from each other. 

For Math, I like Math U See

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)