Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I'm really looking into curriculum for next year. I'm wondering if I could get your reviews on what you use? Ill have one in kindergarten, doing math and language arts. And 2nd grade, doing math, science history/geography/social studies and language arts. I don't know what alls out there. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Lol, I make all our curriculum, sorry!

LoriAlane8
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM

We use the 12 curriculum (www.k12.com) and have since 2001. Love it! Started out picking this and that when my daughter was in 1st grade and that was soooo much work. I feel K12 covers all the bases and especially was thrilled when I saw that history was taught in chronological order. I have learned so much along with my children.

oredeb
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM

ive never used just one curr for everything but separate books for different subjects only

k math- rod and staff is fantastic! it builds on a concept and goes with it till the kids learn it, repitition

k lang.arts- never taught language arts in k so dont know of any

2nd- math- again rod and staff for same reasons above

2nd- science- apologia-(this can be for all ages) also abeka has good science books for this age, interesting,

2nd- history- again abeka is interesting for the kids,

2nd- lang. arts- i havent used lang. arts for kids at this level (i start at 3rd grade with lang. arts)

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM

This is what I do now.  Lots of planning is involved, but I get to teach what the kids want to learn using materials that they enjoy.

Quoting KickButtMama:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I like reading the different curriculum. 8)

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
My dd is going into 2nd and this is what I'll be using.
Math: rod and staff
Language arts and reading: abeka
Writing: a reason for handwriting b
History: heritage studies 2 bob jones
Science: apologia science zoology 1

For kindergarten I had used abeka also.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
scoutwifemomof4
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I recommend My fathers world, at the ages your kida are you can do the same level with them both probably.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

This is me as well.  :)  

Quoting KickButtMama:

calimom1123
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
K-3 we loved abeka.
4th we are doing bob jones language, math and reading with ace word building,ss and science. Love the combo this year too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I LOVE Math U See, and both the reading and spelling by All About learning Press. They're great for hands on learners and use the mastery approach instead of the spiral method. My daughter (we'll see with my little guy when he's older) does better with mastering the concept and then go on, though I will go back every once in awhile when she forgets prior lessons...
Science, we've been having fun with REAL Science 4 Kids which is for K-4 for the starting levels of Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Astronomy, and I think they'll have Geology soon.... There is an experiment for every lesson. I found it worth paying a little more for the student folder which is basically creating a lap book for each chapter.   I've been torn b/t this science program and Real Science Odyssey but I haven't used that one yet, I've only looked into it.
For history, I've used History Odyssey. I'm having a love hate relationship with it. In theory it looks great, but my daughter is just DRAGGING through it and has little interest, but then again she hates history... It does have map work which works into geography, and is the only part my daughter likes.  There are plenty of projects you can do with each lesson if you take the time to prep for them, it provides and extensive reading list that can be added to each lesson if you wish, it can be secular (which is why I went for it), the religious aspects can easily be skipped over in one book, and one book left out entirely.... One of the main books provides a lot of external internet links to delve further into the lesson if you choose... It does provide you a recommended outline for what to do each week, but I've skipped a few chapters and added them in later or not at all a few times already...
Langauge Arts, I've stuck with Spectrum workbooks. They do a decent job at explaining, and if my daughter is still confused, I can usually explain it very quickly so she understands...otherwise I don't know any other lang, arts curriculums...
Social Studies - we hit up all the national parks and do the Jr Ranger programs, and lots of field trips to places around town like the Fire Station, Police Station, and the capital, and have been fortunate enough to ask questions like "what do you do?" "how does this help the community?" "how can I help my community like you do?"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN