Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I'm really looking into curriculum for next year. I'm wondering if I could get your reviews on what you use? Ill have one in kindergarten, doing math and language arts. And 2nd grade, doing math, science history/geography/social studies and language arts. I don't know what alls out there. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Can you tell me a little about how you do it? Where (Internet etc) do you get your lessons?
I've seen alot of people do this but wouldn't know where to start.

Quoting kirbymom:

This is me as well.  :)  

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, I make all our curriculum, sorry!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM
We use Abeka for my daughter who is in kindergarten. I especially love their phonics program. We will probably use Abeka up until at least third grade. My boys are in 9th grade and we mix up the curriculum.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chlippr77
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM
I have K and 2nd grade kiddos this year. Wee didn't have much $ when we decided to homeschool, so I had to pick and choose little things that didn't cost a lot, and buy them a little at a time. For phonics for the kindergartners I found Progressive Phonics online. It's free and you can read the books online, or print them out. I break each book up and they read so many pages a day until they finish the book, then we work through the games and puzzles. When I feel they have mastered the skills in one book, they move on to the next book. We also use BOB books. Walking by the way it's a blog that had developed some fun, free printables to go along with the first and second set of BOB books as well as the kindergarten sight word pack. For math I've been printing worksheets off from Education.com that teach the skills I feel they need. My 2nd grader uses Math Mammoth (not free, but fairly inexpensive) and Scott Foresman Grammar and Writing (found this free online). Both the K'ers & 2nd gr are using Road Trip USA from confessions of homeschooler for social studies, & a biology bundle I found on Currclick for science. We also do literature unit studies (lapbooks), and music and artist studies, mostly from Confessions of a Homeschooler (with a few changes here and their). And they each have a handwriting page every day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
superwoman0105
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM

This is our first year homeschooling and my son is in second grade this year.  We use Abeka for everything and he loves it.  It's all planned out and each lesson is numbered to correspond with each subject.  There are different options: DVD Curriclum, Abeka Academy online, and Independent Homeschool.  We use the Independent homeschool option.  I have the teacher guides, student texts, test and drills.  

Here is the website if you are interested:

www.abeka.com

Hope this helps!

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Ill definitely look into that!! Thanks

Quoting superwoman0105:

This is our first year homeschooling and my son is in second grade this year.  We use Abeka for everything and he loves it.  It's all planned out and each lesson is numbered to correspond with each subject.  There are different options: DVD Curriclum, Abeka Academy online, and Independent Homeschool.  We use the Independent homeschool option.  I have the teacher guides, student texts, test and drills.  

Here is the website if you are interested:

www.abeka.com

Hope this helps!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM

We use Learning Adventures. It is a multi-grade level unit study curriculum.  It's geared to 4th-8th grade, but my youngest was in second when we started using it, and my oldest (at home) is a freshman now.  They actually wrote a supplement for younger learners too.  

http://www.learning-adventures.org/

http://www.learning-adventures.org/Volume_One/For_Little_Adventurers/for_little_adventurers.html

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I make my own supplements and unit studies for anything I want to go in more depth with or add.

https://sites.google.com/site/freshwateracademy/home/tools-for-school

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
We'll be starting K this coming school year. We'll be using:
Sonlight p4/5
Singapore math and maybe miquon as well
Handwriting without tears
Building thinking skills from critical thinking co.
Hooked on phonics, reading eggs and explode the code online for now. I'm not sure what we're moving to when she finishes those, likely this year.
For science I'm deciding between 1)noeo physics, 2) SL science A, and 3)DK first encyclopedias and some experiment kits. I'm leaning to 3 because it's what we're doing now and she loves it.
We also do ASL and Spanish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KALmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Sonlight is pricey!  However, I buy the instructor's guide from them and the books I can't find anywhere else.  A lot of their "readers" can be found used on Amazon.com or half.com or even ebay.  I buy them there for a minimal price because I honestly don't care if the book they read is used.  I also get some of the readers from the library.  Most of the readers are popular, classic books.  Then, the books that I can't find I buy new from Sonlight or Amazon, whichever is cheaper.  Also check out christianbookstore.com.  We use Singapore math and I buy it from there instead of Sonlight because I don't need all the stuff that comes in the sonlight kit.  We get the teacher's guide ($23.99), the textbook ($9.69) and the workbook ($9.69).  I buy the "A" books in September and when we get halfway through then I will purchase the "B" books (A= Semester 1 and B = Semester 2).  Sometimes we work through them fast, other times, not so much.  Anyways, you can do this for most of the subjects (i.e. science, history, bible, etc).  Instead of paying over $500 for Sonlight curriculum, I pay about half that!  But I highly recommend buying the IGs straight from Sonlight (vs. Ebay).

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

I really like sonlight. It's kind of pricey though...

Quoting KALmommy:

We use Sonlight and love it!  They don't have a math curriculum per se but they recommend some that you can buy in their core packages.  We used Singapore math.  My neighbor is a high school math teacher (but his wife homeschools their children) and he said Singapore is one of the best curriculums out there for math!  Good luck :)

KALmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

We use almost exactly the same curriculum!  Love Handwriting without tears and explode the code, etc. that you mentioned.  What do you use for your ASL and Spanish curriculum?

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

We'll be starting K this coming school year. We'll be using:
Sonlight p4/5
Singapore math and maybe miquon as well
Handwriting without tears
Building thinking skills from critical thinking co.
Hooked on phonics, reading eggs and explode the code online for now. I'm not sure what we're moving to when she finishes those, likely this year.
For science I'm deciding between 1)noeo physics, 2) SL science A, and 3)DK first encyclopedias and some experiment kits. I'm leaning to 3 because it's what we're doing now and she loves it.
We also do ASL and Spanish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)