Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading and memory

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:02 AM
  • 8 Replies
ok ladies here we go.
Yes my DD is 4 and will be 5 in the spring. DH & I are avid readers and have read to her since day one. I have been working on phonics, various workbooks and so on to get her reading. (it's wonderful so why would I want her to be denied this?) she acts like she wants to read. Wants to read the direction for games, reads to her animals (live and stuffed) wants me to read to her, tries to read the newspapers, streetsigns, billboards and so on. But i have noticedsomething and I am not sure what to do. I picked her daily books for the week. These are books that were read other in the spring. All of the books I picked she "read" tome exactly. Placing her fingers on the words. 1st & 2nd book I was happy, 5th book I was worried. There was no hesitating, no mistakes. So I wrote a few passages down (typed them too) and tried to get her to read them. She had no clue what they were.had difficulty sounding some of them out. Once she recognized the passages she started " reading" easier.
Honestly. What do I do here? How do you teach reading to someone with that much recall? I mean I can remember about 80% of everybook Ive read and maybe 5% of what I 've heard ( by 7th grade my teachers just gave me transcripts of the class I just attended so I knew what was said) so I'm not sure what approach or teaching method to use.
Please. Any help or guidance is appreciated. .
Thank you.
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:29 AM
My daughter could do that as well. I wouldnt worry. Knowing what it says, putting her finger under the words, is helping her. Sge is going through a natural progression of understanding that these things are letters, which make words. My daughter taught herself to read at 4 and started off this way. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM

My oldest is sort of like this, but my youngest who is 4 1/2 can read just about anything she picks up.  Very strange.  I have a 4 yo who can read the Lord's prayer with NO issues (she asked for a copy to read b/c she didn't want me saying with her ALL the time).  I think they all have a natural progression that they have to go through.  Keep working on her phonics and she will eventually get it.  It does take time.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM

This is actually really common. My advice is to not repeat books unless its a reward...like work hard on this new text then we'll read your favorite.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I just want to agree with the other mommas. It's perfectly normal, she's still very young as well. If you continue to work on the phonics and use new books, it will all come together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

what shannon said, that works good! mine did the same thing, some better than others! thats why i always teach memorization when they are young!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Yes!  This!

Quoting KickButtMama:

This is actually really common. My advice is to

not repeat books unless its a reward...

like work hard on this new text then we'll read your favorite.

She has memorized the stories. My kids did the same thing. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

My son is doing the same thing too...
I stared using the All About Reading, using the flash cards and letter tiles provided and using the suggested letters for each lesson and use them to "build words" that he has to sound out. He's moving through them really quickly, and then there are the flash cards with words "he should know" that we go over...and I'm sure he has memorized... but playing with the letter cards and making our own words so that he has to sound them out has been helping with actually learning to sound out the words.... He's 3...and surprises me constantly, like last night on his own he started reading an easy reader book. He wasn't able to get all the words, but still I thought that he was "reading" on his own was amazing lol. And instructing his "guy" how to sound out the words lol.  .. anyway I strayed... maybe making sounding words out as more of a game would help?

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

A large part of learning to read is memorization. They call "sight words" "sight words", because you have to memorize them to know them on sight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN