Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Virtual academies....

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

Is anyone doing this? If so,do you like it? We are doing Florida Virtual school with connexus curriculum. It's been about 3 weeks and so far I hate it. 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM
I really liked k12 last year, but this year I hate it!,!! We've decided to do it ourselves next year. I'm done with their controls and meddling.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WantedNameTaken
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

We did K12, but dropped it.  We pulled my son before this school year started and pulled my daughter on Tuesday of this week.  Freedom and less stress, here we come! :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you're not liking it, how frustrating that must be. We don't have a free virtual academy here in CT so I've never used them before. Hugs!

CBMMOM
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I really liked k12 last year, but this year I hate it!,!! We've decided to do it ourselves next year. I'm done with their controls and meddling.

What is it that you hate? I think the lessons are very disjointed. 

CBMMOM
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

We did K12, but dropped it.  We pulled my son before this school year started and pulled my daughter on Tuesday of this week.  Freedom and less stress, here we come! :)

I am very seriously considering taking her out too. I feel like we did better on our own .  I'm glad to see we are not alone.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
The testing. Math lessons have a checkpoint nearly every day after the online practice and the worksheets! They say you can decide when to stop, but it seems that when I decide it's enough, they want the next worksheet recorded for a grade.
I was an English teacher and the lit lessons don't flow as they should. At first I sat with the teacher guide and followed it piece by piece and it took the whole hour, then I started just doing my own version and I would get their 3 lessons done in the first hour and use the next day to go through and catch anything I had missed. It just isn't as well put together as I would expect from a program with so many teachers working on it.
Also, one of our teachers is great and the other is pretty terrible.
Just all around disgusted!

Quoting CBMMOM:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

CBMMOM
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The testing. Math lessons have a checkpoint nearly every day after the online practice and the worksheets! They say you can decide when to stop, but it seems that when I decide it's enough, they want the next worksheet recorded for a grade.
I was an English teacher and the lit lessons don't flow as they should. At first I sat with the teacher guide and followed it piece by piece and it took the whole hour, then I started just doing my own version and I would get their 3 lessons done in the first hour and use the next day to go through and catch anything I had missed. It just isn't as well put together as I would expect from a program with so many teachers working on it.

Quoting CBMMOM:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's what I thought,too! There was no flow to the lessons,especially the language arts lessons.  And also,it would say do lesson in your practice book,but not tell which book. She has four language arts workbooks. We'd have to sort through them to find which book made sense to the particular lesson she was doing. 

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

You can do it!  The ladies on this site are immensely helpful and there's a ton of help online and at the library.  I started the year with a boxed curriculum, but quickly stopped using it and bought a ton of books (student and teacher editions) on Amazon for dirt cheap.  We also take advantage of the seemingly infinite, free online worksheets, videos, and such.

If virtual school doesn't seem right, don't stick with it longer than necessary.  It sucked the love of learning right out of my kids.  They're much happier now. :)

Best wishes!

Quoting CBMMOM:

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

I am very seriously considering taking her out too. I feel like we did better on our own .  I'm glad to see we are not alone.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Mine only have one workbook, but it has 3 sections, which I didn't realize for nearly a month! The orange section was for literature, the green was vocabulary, and the purple was grammar and writing.
Also imho writing is rewriting, so I would have him find mistakes, use better words, etc just to find out that a week later he needed to pick back up and do what we had already done and graded!

Quoting CBMMOM:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting CBMMOM:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's what I thought,too! There was no flow to the lessons,especially the language arts lessons.  And also,it would say do lesson in your practice book,but not tell which book. She has four language arts workbooks. We'd have to sort through them to find which book made sense to the particular lesson she was doing. 

arctophile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

We use Calvert here and so far, really like it.  I had 2 using it last year, and 3 this year.  I plan to enroll 4 next year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN