Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What to Do

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 7 Replies

First let me say that we do the Calvert as virtual school so my curriculum is supplied and paid for by the state.

DD3 is doing 5 Calvert PK lessons a day.  She completely understands the concepts and just rips through them.  At her current rate, she will finish her curriculum in 4 more class days. 

I have talked to my Calvert advisor, and she thinks we can go ahead and order the K level stuff if there is budget available, but that will still be weeks from now before we get it if it's approved.

Any ideas on what I can do with her the rest of the school year?  I really need free ideas as much as possible because our family is working to become debt free so finances are tight.  She already does starfall, education city, PBSkids, and I have access to Brainpop Jr, and enchanted learning.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Photobucket

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I would do a very comprehensive review until the new material is available. Go over everything and turn it into games for review and practice. The better the foundation, the easier to be will to move forward.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Library trips.  Let her pick the books/subjects.  There's always some good books with crafts in them at the library too!  :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Abcya.com
Read to her.
Rhyme with her.
Count, talk about dozens, skip count, play with measuring cups, play with a clock, count pennies and nickels and dimes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

well you can plan her some lessons

math- either write her out some problems every day or find some online and print them, or check at the library or thrift stores and find a cheap math book for her, let her bake with you, cook dinner

english- write out some english stuff that shes learning, help her write stories, poems, (that will also help her practice her handwriting)

history- teach her your history the history of your family, or history of the area you live in or also go to library they have lots of books on history for her age

science- same thing go to library and get some books for her age! also do nature study outside is possible, drawing pad, pencils, go find some bugs to draw and then research on internet start a binder of this, find experiments online and do them each day

reading- library!!! also you both take turns reading to each other, ask her to narrate back to you what she hears

handwriting- theres sites online that you can make copypages from, or just do it on microsoft

art- look on line and in the library!!! lots of stuff, teach her to sew,

music- teach her some songs!! or an instrument or about song writers, composers

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I agree!

Quoting irvinehiker:

Library trips.  Let her pick the books/subjects.  There's always some good books with crafts in them at the library too!  :)

firehorse13
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I'm using lesson pathways and the head of the class with my soon to be 5 year old and he loves it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Yes! 

@  artophile  ~~   And to make this interesting to the child..just do them while doing a physical activity. Such as doing jumping jacks for the math and spelling. When you are doing the handwriting, make up a silly poem. Make up an exaggerated story. When you do the History lessons, use your photo album and then have them write down what they think they know about their family. You can combine a lot of these subjects into a single theme and lesson.  

Quoting oredeb:

well you can plan her some lessons

math- either write her out some problems every day or find some online and print them, or check at the library or thrift stores and find a cheap math book for her, let her bake with you, cook dinner

english- write out some english stuff that shes learning, help her write stories, poems, (that will also help her practice her handwriting)

history- teach her your history the history of your family, or history of the area you live in or also go to library they have lots of books on history for her age

science- same thing go to library and get some books for her age! also do nature study outside is possible, drawing pad, pencils, go find some bugs to draw and then research on internet start a binder of this, find experiments online and do them each day

reading- library!!! also you both take turns reading to each other, ask her to narrate back to you what she hears

handwriting- theres sites online that you can make copypages from, or just do it on microsoft

art- look on line and in the library!!! lots of stuff, teach her to sew,

music- teach her some songs!! or an instrument or about song writers, composers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)