Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I WANT OUT!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have been homeschooling my daughter using Florida Virtual School via Connexus and she  and I both hate it. I was looking at other moms' posts and I'd like to know how you guys know what cirriculum is appropriate for their grade level. I would like to be able to free Danielle my daughter from the computer, she's on there for 7-8 hours a day. She doesn't even want to go near it once we're finished with the day's coursework. She's a 6th grader but I don't know how to go about it. Any ideas??

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, you already have an idea from the work she is doing now. So you go to the internet and search out similar lessons subjects ideas and bookmark them  for a later time or you use it right then. Depends on your own prefernce. You use your local library for more inspiration and ideas for porjects too. You also use your local bookstore to buy activity books and books in general for anything interesting. 

The one thing I would advise you about doing with your daughter for homeschooling is this. Let her advance to whatever level she can as longas she wants to. You do not have to teach to same age levels all the time. For example...my 6 yr old son knows his multiplication tables 1-12-10. He also knows double digit math..add, subtract, and now starting multiplication. He knows how to put words in alphabetical order, even words that he has never used before.  He can read time by analog and digitally, He can count money and even add it up or subtract as the case may be.  What I am trying to say is, you can teach above level if you want to. Especially when your child is eating up the lessons like wildfire.  There is just so much that you can do out there for homeschooling.  :)   

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Knowing & understanding the laws in your state will help you in better knowing what kind of homeschooling you can do. In some states the laws are so strict that a boxed curriculum is the easiest way to go but if the laws aren't so restricting making up your own might be best suited for her. 

Knowing her learning style is going to help you out a lot & remember that she can have a different learning style for different subjects & you need to take that in consideration when picking a curriculum that is an all in one because some of those are geared at one learning style being the mane way that you learn. Also getting her input on what she wants to learn & how she wants to learn it will help make it easier to pick something (she is the one having to use it so she should like it other wise you might have the same problem you are having now). GOOD LUCK & I hope I helped you some!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Good luck! you can do it!

oredeb
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM
3 moms liked this

write em a note and say your taking your dd out of their program!  and then deschool for a month! while your dschooling start looking into differnet curriculum!

apologia is good for science,

saxon is good for math

rod and stafff is good for english

history-  abeka, or you can have her read books for history  http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/history.htm

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Sorry, I'm not much help...but here's a hug? 

paris2lmp
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM

BUMP!

paris2lmp
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I'm new to homeschooling so I'm not too much help....but I wouldn't force her or you to stay where you are miserable.  Here is a bump.

denmomof3
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

You could use Amazon as a resource and find he some 6th grade textbooks and workbooks.  Sometimes you can find them used at a really good price.  I have purchased books that are used and are almost like new.  Another thing you could do is go on Timberdoodle.com.  They have boxed curriculum for the different grades.  It ends up being a combination of different curriculum that they put together for each grade level (eg....Teaching Textbooks for Math, Apologia Science, Easy Grammar, etc..).  They all end up being textbook/workbook combinations.  Teaching Textbooks have CD's that go with it but it can be used with or without. 

For my daughter (also in the 6th grade) we use a combination of different things.  We use Time4learning for Language Arts and Social Studies.  I supplement the Language Arts with workbooks and writing.  We use Switched on Schoolhouse for Earth Science and we do lots of experiments/projects with it and for Math we do Teaching Textbooks and she loves using the combination of workbook/CD-computer. 

Finally, you can use CurrClick and download some printable units.  There are lots of great unit studies for science and history and they will usually give you the age level that they are appropriate for.  You can print these out and many of them contain worksheets, quizzes, answer keys etc..  If she is doing Earth Science as a 6th grader, you can find lots of material here and perhaps she can continue where she left off (eg...studying the water cycle, atmosphere, etc...)

Good luck!

MammaG08
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM

BUMP!

swim-mom72
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you even able to take her out? I don't know Florida homeschooling laws. But HSLDA was a great resource for me when we started homeschooling. Another wonderful resource for me was/is Cathy Duffy's book called 100 Top Picks for Homeschoolers. If you do not want to buy it you can check it out from your library.

As far as curriculum choices, the possibilities are really endless! If you are coming from virtual school, you are probably wanting something that will keep track of grades for you? Maybe you want an all-in-one type of curriculum? If you are Christian, I would suggest Bob Jones or Abeka that would offer those two aspects. But, if you want less computer time and more freedom and flexability to pick and choose, then I would recommend Sonlight, Timberdoodle, KONOS, or Heart of Dakota.

If you are wanting a variety of things and don't care that it all come from the same publisher, then the possibilities are vast. Here are some suggestions for each subject:

Language - Rod n Staff, Easy Grammar, Saxon Grammar and Writing, Winston Grammar, Wordly Wise, All About Spelling, BJU, Abeka, and Queens Language Lessons

Math - Math U See, Saxon, Teaching Textbooks, Rod n Staff, Chalk Dust, and Jacob's

History - Story of the World, The Mystery of History, Truth Quest, History of the World, All American History, BJU, and Abeka

Science - Real Science 4 Kids, Apologia, Noeo Science, God's Design Science, BJU, and Abeka

Critical Thinking - Fallacy Detective, The Critical Thinking Co., and The Art of Argument

Reading/Lit. - All About Reading, Progeny Press study guides, Total Language Plus, BJU, Abeka, and McRuffy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN