Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have been homeschooling my daughter using Florida Virtual School via Connexus and she  and I both hate it. I was looking at other moms' posts and I'd like to know how you guys know what cirriculum is appropriate for their grade level. I would like to be able to free Danielle my daughter from the computer, she's on there for 7-8 hours a day. She doesn't even want to go near it once we're finished with the day's coursework. She's a 6th grader but I don't know how to go about it. Any ideas??

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Replies (11-15):
Kerseygeek
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Calvert, Pearson, Oak Meadow, Time 4 Learning, Houghton Mifflin are all good. Just google them with homeschool & you'll get plenty of links. Also google 6th grade homeschool and you'll find lots of links to resources. Just make sure you fully check out curriculum before you purchase to make sure it teaches according to your goals such as if you prefer religious or secular & if you choose religious, which perspective do you follow. Good luck.
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
What and how does she like to learn? I'd go from there. If you don't know, take some time to deschool as PPs have suggested, take her to the library, museums, educational resource stores, and even crafts stores. Let her listen to music and explore her creativity through various media, and have her read heaps of books of her choosing, plus a few that you select to challenge her. The time off will help you figure out if she learns best by doing, watching, reading, or a combination.

I live in Tallahassee, and my understanding is that you can quit the online school at any time. I'm not familiar with your program in particular, but HSLDA should be able to help you. They have statutes and guidance laid out, by state. Google "homeschool group (your city)" and you should find at least one local group full of people who would love to help you. HTH!
mary8801
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. There's light at the end of the tunnel.fingers crossed

frugalmomoftwo
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Hello we live close to ocala fl and we use them our first year we all did not like it. And when we asked for there records they told me. Yes when we get books back and when they did get them back they refused.
He go thu Florida unscoolers and all u have to do is clame there days we do a criculum but we do stuff out side on the computer in the kitchen and we even take it to the store. Thy learn money and mesurments budgeting and all that while shopping. We beleave learning g is every day and every were we go we learn and our kids have fun and don't even look at it as learning that is what makes it so cool we dont live in a box or have to follow one thing to a tea or brake our pockets when that same stuff is at the library .Internet and you know from years of exsperiens.
I wish u and your family the best of luck and if yall are ever out by ocala let us know we love to meat other home school family's. God bless y'all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I completely agree. The best place to start is where your child is most excited and comfortable!

Quoting tuffymama:

What and how does she like to learn? I'd go from there. If you don't know, take some time to deschool as PPs have suggested, take her to the library, museums, educational resource stores, and even crafts stores. Let her listen to music and explore her creativity through various media, and have her read heaps of books of her choosing, plus a few that you select to challenge her. The time off will help you figure out if she learns best by doing, watching, reading, or a combination.

I live in Tallahassee, and my understanding is that you can quit the online school at any time. I'm not familiar with your program in particular, but HSLDA should be able to help you. They have statutes and guidance laid out, by state. Google "homeschool group (your city)" and you should find at least one local group full of people who would love to help you. HTH!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)