Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Time 4 Learning

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM
  • 10 Replies

If you use this program, can someone tell me their thoughts?  I did the demo and saw that it was the exact thing my daughter did when they had her on "homebound" in the school. I am not sure if I liked it because there was no real set anything (no time limits or guiding), but that was through the school, so I am not sure how it works for homeschooled.

Example of what I mean.  They gave us the password and told us to do it. Typical school you have a set time to do things in.  They gave her nothing, then said they didn't expect her to finish it.  So we were very confused. Of course we homeschool now and she is doing fine, but I thought I might check into this and see what others are saying.  The only down side I see is that they don't have Algebra.

Oh yeah, my daughter is 11, but is doing Algebra for math.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I use it with my youngest. It's a fantastic supplement. IMO it's not a sufficient complete curriculum. But we use T4L, Readingeggs.com, khanacademy.org and BrainPop.com. I like that I can view a daily report of what he has accomplished. But I believe the kids need some hands on learning of science and writing. 

There is a timer at the top of the page, for the kids. It starts at 45 minutes, but it doesn't kick them out of the program or anything when they exceed that time. In the parent page there is a map/list of lessons, so you can actually map out what you want you child to do on any given day.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

paris2lmp
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I just started using time4learning for my boys' "core curriculum" this last week.  So this is my one week old opinion.  I like that it times them, so I can go back and document that time (my state requires a certain amount of hrs per year).  I also like that it is supposedly taylored to meet state requirements for education, I have access to 3 grade levels and can change the grade settings at any time.  My kids ENJOY doing the activities so it doesn't seem like book work to them.  I can go back through the activities with them and they can do them over and over until they get 100% and fully understand the concepts being taught.  I can also generate reports and activity planners, and view progress through a seperate parent account.

Now for the things I have learned I dislike:

Its not enough.  My kids enjoy the lessons, but that also means that the breeze through them most of the time, so they can go through 2-3 units in any given subject a day.  I don't feel like that allows them much time to retain the concepts very well.  It also means that the curriculum won't last us as long as we need it to.  I had always intended to supplement with other things, but now I am realizing that I need to do a LOT more and slow down their speed through the units.  The order of my oldest sons math lessons doesn't make sense to me.  Why would you introduce fractions BEFORE multiplication or division or even 3 digit addition?  He was just starting fraction concepts in public school, so I went ahead and let him do the fraction unit, but he struggled with it because by the end they were asking him to reduce fractions and he had no idea how to do division! (he is in 2nd grade btw).  I also don't like that what THEY see in their accounts is difficult to match up in the PARENT account view of Lesson plans.  I did eventually figure that out, but it was very confusing at first.  Also, the science and social studies curriculums seem very lacking to me.  But that is just my opinion on that, so I will probably end up doing more of my own thing for those subjects.  In the end, t4l mignt end up being more of a supplement than a core...especially next year, but we are still new to it too, so we will see. 

Hope this helps!

Malley
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I just looked at the demo for first grade and I can see it wouldn't be enough as a stand-alone program. I put him on the first grade demo and he is doing way more in Kindergarten language arts. They do Core Curriculum which is bumped up a grade or two. Which is probably why he is struggling.....

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

The beauty of homeschool is the fact that you can change what isn't working. It also means that you set up the way you want to homeschool. Keyword--WANT. What suits the needs of the child(ren) and the family.  Whatever those wants/needs may be.  Most people don't realize that as the child(ren) grow up, the curriculum needs to be changed anyway!  To fit the growing mind! 

It something fits now but doesn't later, change it. If it doesn't fit now, change it.  Homeschooling is NOT a ...One Size Fits All curriculum.  There are many many ways to homeschool and educate our children. That is why you will find that the majority of homeschoolers are more proficient than their public schooled counterparts.  Although, I happen to know of some public schoolers who are quite intelligent.  Mostly it's because of the intelligence of the child and not the teachers.  :)  

Educating our children is worth every step we take. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree! This is the 3rd time we've instituted T4L. When the kids lose interest, I shut down the account until they express interest again. Once T4L gets to the 3rd grade level, it requires a lot more reading nd a lot less animation, which is why it doesn't suit my very visual learning eldest, but works nicely for my youngest. 

Quoting kirbymom:

The beauty of homeschool is the fact that you can change what isn't working. It also means that you set up the way you want to homeschool. Keyword--WANT. What suits the needs of the child(ren) and the family.  Whatever those wants/needs may be.  Most people don't realize that as the child(ren) grow up, the curriculum needs to be changed anyway!  To fit the growing mind! 

It something fits now but doesn't later, change it. If it doesn't fit now, change it.  Homeschooling is NOT a ...One Size Fits All curriculum.  There are many many ways to homeschool and educate our children. That is why you will find that the majority of homeschoolers are more proficient than their public schooled counterparts.  Although, I happen to know of some public schoolers who are quite intelligent.  Mostly it's because of the intelligence of the child and not the teachers.  :)  

Educating our children is worth every step we take. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I know a lot of people use it as supplement.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I use it with my older two, but we are dropping it again.   We used it before, too.

I like it up until third grade.   After that, the concepts start needing different ways of teaching.   For example, Social Studies and Science is just reading online... at third grade my eldest would just hit the arrow button to skip to the next page and then fail the test...  then I would make her re-do it... and she would cry... 

But that was our first official year of HSing and I was clueless.   We used it for 3 months just for her.

Then this year, I use it for her and my second child because we relocated twice in 11 months, the second time I was pregnant with number four and due in 3 months...   I was burned out.

So anwyay, we used it again, but added Rod & Staff english because it's been working for us.   Plus, we added weekly library trips where they pick out books and fun projects that go along with whatever they are studying in Time4Learning.  

I also put up a daily schedule of X amount of work in different subjects.   It's a guideline of what we are doing... if we want to do something different, we drop a subject or something and do something else.

We also added extra read alouds, projects, bible, etc...   plus their extra curricular (each has a sport, Choir, and church events right now)...

They are getting some great stuff, and I'm not having to teach everything...

HOWEVER, that being said, T4L doesn't reteach stuff if the kids don't get it... it moves along even if they fail... my eldest has had to google a few math concepts because they didn't explain it very well... etc.

I guess I use it as a teachers aid.

katshu
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

We've used it for about 6 years and both of my boys (ages 8 and 13) love it. They don't sit at the computer every day...we do a lot of interest led learning. But they enjoy it when they do it, and I love the fact that it's there when I know they need to take an afternoon and step away from the history role playing or the mythbusters experiment marathon. :D

I believe they have an activity scheduler now... I suppose you could go through and assign lessons. But we just simply start at the beginning of a grade level and just do the lessons and activities in the order in which they are presented. I know everyone is different, but that's just what works for us. 

Good luck! Pretty sure they still have a two week trial period. You can always give it a try outside of a "demo" and see what you think. :)

Katie

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM

We looked into it for a few weeks last year. I did NOT like it. The 'games' were poorer quality than what you can find on other websites for free. I could not understand why on earth I would pay for it. My kids thought it was incredibly boring.

BunnyGirl82
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We use Time4Learning personally and we really like it. They do offer Algebra. Maybe not for the Grade level your child is in, but they do offer it. ( You can always call T4L and ask them what grades they offer it in). Since T4L offers 3 grade levels at once, you might be able to accommodate the Math section in a higher grade level and still allow her to work in lover grade level for other subjects. Another thing I like about T4L, is in your parent login, you can adjust the grade level on a as need basis. As your child advances or needs review you can alter their grade level. Time4Learning also offers a "Try before you buy" option. What you do is give a review in exchange for a free month. That is what made me try this program. They stand behind their product! Anyways, I hope this has helped you in your decision :)

Keri~ Roadschooling Momma of 2 little Explorers!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN