Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello Everybody :3

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi there. My name is Lynn and I have a 6 yr old (almost 7) big boy. He has Aspergers and a speech delay. 

I am here to get some ideas on how to homeschool my little man... he went to a public school in Hawaii for 2 and a half years. When we moved to Texas, I found that the schools did not have the same services that he recieved in Hawaii. 

I hope to keep him in tune with what grade he should be in.. or a little ahead. He is wicked smart, so.. I have hope :D

Thank you for any help and advice you ladies provide. 

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Hi Lynn. Welcome to the group.  :)   

You will find all ways of advice in this group. :) 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Do you have any ideas on how he learns?  What are his interests? At this age, he should be learning to enjoy what his intersts are.  I would even say that if he is ahead, teach him from there. I tend to feel that we should not hold them back when they want to learn. As far as I know, Texas Laws for Homeschooling are one of the best in the nation.  

Quoting Sekirei:

Hi there. My name is Lynn and I have a 6 yr old (almost 7) big boy. He has Aspergers and a speech delay. 

I am here to get some ideas on how to homeschool my little man... he went to a public school in Hawaii for 2 and a half years. When we moved to Texas, I found that the schools did not have the same services that he recieved in Hawaii. 

I hope to keep him in tune with what grade he should be in.. or a little ahead. He is wicked smart, so.. I have hope :D

undefined

Sekirei
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

From his evaluations, he is at the reading comprehension level of almost 3rd grade... he catches on fairly quickly, if he is interested. He gets bored quickly too, 

As long as it is written out and explained, his Sped teacher said it was easy to get him to understand. He doesn't like reading out loud though, he would rather me do it and then answer questions. 

Since we just moved, I have what they gave me from school and some things the teachers gave me on their own. He loves animals and science, so that has not been an issue. I am trying to find a way to incorporate math and reading into his science, to get them all at once. 

I am also very disorganized, so, I am trying to get into a groove that works for both of us. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Do you have any ideas on how he learns?  What are his interests? At this age, he should be learning to enjoy what his intersts are.  I would even say that if he is ahead, teach him from there. I tend to feel that we should not hold them back when they want to learn. As far as I know, Texas Laws for Homeschooling are one of the best in the nation.  

Quoting Sekirei:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

You might want to check out Math U See. It is a manipulative based Math program that really helps keep kids interested. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Welcome to the group, BTW! lol

Sekirei
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Quoting mem82:

Welcome to the group, BTW! lol

Thank you :3

Sekirei
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi Lynn. Welcome to the group.  :)   

You will find all ways of advice in this group. :) 

Thank you :3

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, as far as incorporating his math and his reading into his love of Science, that shouldn't be too difficult.  You can have him pick an animal and have him learn about his habitat. Now while he is learning about the animal's habitat, he could formulate how big it is by sq feet by sq feet. The he can read a short story about the animal with you asking pertinent questions as his evaluation of understanding. You could even use legos if he likes playing with them. Maybe even draw a picture according to actual size. By doing any one of these, he is not only using his math but he is reading. And with you asking him questions along the way, you will know what he in understanding and what he isn't understanding and act accordingly.  

Quoting Sekirei:

From his evaluations, he is at the reading comprehension level of almost 3rd grade... he catches on fairly quickly, if he is interested. He gets bored quickly too, 

As long as it is written out and explained, his Sped teacher said it was easy to get him to understand. He doesn't like reading out loud though, he would rather me do it and then answer questions. 

Since we just moved, I have what they gave me from school and some things the teachers gave me on their own. He loves animals and science, so that has not been an issue. I am trying to find a way to incorporate math and reading into his science, to get them all at once. 

I am also very disorganized, so, I am trying to get into a groove that works for both of us. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Sekirei:

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)