Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Perceptions

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 3 Replies

What are perceptions?

This is something most people never really think about or give real meaning to.

Perception is what people use to make decisions or act a certain way about everything in their lives. All the way down to what toothpaste they want to use to brush their teeth.  

I have been giving this some thought for quite some time now.  And the conclusion I have come to is this,   I think perception plays more of an important role than we think, in shaping a mind, an attitude , a belief, our whole outlook in fact. All these also help to shape who we are as a whole.  So, I want to help people understand Perception it's most simplistic nature. I want people to know that you can change; your way of thinking, how you view things. That it isn't as difficult as one might believe.  I think this is relevant to what this group is all about.  Why we decide to go the routes we travel on in life. From drinking water to choosing a color that we like.  To homeschooling.   

Here is an article that will help in beginning to understand what I am talking about.  

The Meaning of Perception

Perceptions vary from person to person. Different people perceive different things about the same situation. But more than that, we assign different meanings to what we perceive. And the meanings might change for a certain person. One might change one's perspective or simply make things mean something else.

This is a famous picture. What does it look like to you?

Some people see a young lady looking away. Others see an old lady looking down. Depending on how you look at it, part of the picture might be the young woman's nose and eyelash, or it might be a wart on the old woman's nose. What is the young woman's ear might be the old woman's eye. What is the young woman's necklace might be the old woman's mouth. The picture hasn't really changed. You just emphasize different parts of it and assign them different meaning.

Look at these two arrows. Which horizontal line is the longest?

They are exactly the same size. However the top one looks longer than the bottom one. It is on optical illusion tricking us into assigning a different meaning to what we see.

We fill in a lot of blanks with our minds. If we have incomplete perceptions, which we practically always do to a certain extent, our minds fill in the rest. 

Are those letters? Or are they just lines and blotches on the paper? How do you know?

Do you see a vase or do you see two faces looking at each other?

The meaning of something will change when you look at it differently. You can look at anything differently and it will have a different meaning.

There is no fixed meaning to anything. You can always change perspectives and change meanings. Why not change them to what you prefer them to be? 

undefined

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
oredeb
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM

perceptions seem to come from what we see a lot of the time, the outer, but whats really going on in the inner part of something or someone, might not be what we perceive at all!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

That is true however that is also from a perception. Just because we see something one way does not mean that that perception is the truth. It is just a percieved truth. And that is what I am talking about. That perception. We can see things one way when it can be something else entirely.  We make some really important decisions based on our perceptions. Sometimes it seems they are good decisions, but  was it the best decision? Also, sometimes we even will get emotional based on what we perceive a situation to be or an attitude.  What I an suggesting is that we can step back and look at what we are perceving and see if it is really what we are seeing  and make a more informed decision. 

Quoting oredeb:

perceptions seem to come from what we see a lot of the time, the outer, but whats really going on in the inner part of something or someone, might not be what we perceive at all!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I love this kind of thing! I love getting a picture, like the first, and seeing how different we all initially interpret it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)