Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

so sick of computers

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am at my wits end with technology. I have problem after problem with any electronics ranging in viruses and electrical issues with all 3 computers to networking issues to printer issues to cable wires in the house to tvs to even all kitchen appliances!!! I am convinced there are wiring issues in the house even and its only 3 yrs old!

anyway, my point of posting - I cannot rely on internet sources or saving files on my computer anymore. I am currently using history odyssey for...history... but for the majority of it we appear to be on the computer. I can no longer access the files I need to to finish the yr til the computers are fixed once again! I am looking for next yr. my daughter will be in 4th grade... any secular history curriculum? I should be good on our others...but maybe also geography? I stress secular and the computer not be needed... thank you.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I taught a co-op class using Story of the World. It was good.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM

history odyssey uses that as one of its major references along side the Osborne internet linked encyclopedia. so I have at least one volume of it. Is there anything else that goes with it if I just go that route, like an overview of the year, worksheets, or extra projects? the problem I'm currently having is that all the files including my outline is on the computer and I can't access it and hubby wouldn't let me print it because it was over 100 pages including the maps that came with it. we are also delving into more internet sources constantly because my daughter keeps asking a million questions, but then never remembers anything :/

Quoting KickButtMama:

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry to see that tech is not your friend right now!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I highly recommend their teachers work boot that accompanies the text. It's light on worksheets but filled with fun project ideas (like mummifying a chicken!)

between that and the Usborne history you should be set! Idk your child's reading level/interests, but we also used the Magic Tree House series as a springboard to investigate the historical period touched on in each book.

Quoting No_Difference:

history odyssey uses that as one of its major references along side the Osborne internet linked encyclopedia. so I have at least one volume of it. Is there anything else that goes with it if I just go that route, like an overview of the year, worksheets, or extra projects? the problem I'm currently having is that all the files including my outline is on the computer and I can't access it and hubby wouldn't let me print it because it was over 100 pages including the maps that came with it. we are also delving into more internet sources constantly because my daughter keeps asking a million questions, but then never remembers anything :/

Quoting KickButtMama:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, I don't think I could function w/o it, I'm soooo addicted!

Quoting usmom3:

Sorry to see that tech is not your friend right now!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Thank you. I'll absolutely be checking it out. Her reading level is kinda low, but we've been working on it since we pulled her out of PS (it took a turn for the worse when we moved and they told her she was reading wrong...) I currently read the chapters to her from Story of the World and she writes down people and places she hears as I read and we do a lapbook type activity, but it's just on one page and slips it into a binder, for each person and place she hears. That way I at least know she was paying attention... I have a feeling I'll be doing that for awhile yet otherwise we'll never get through a chapter.  I can continue to do that - and now I'm very interesting to know the other types of projects it has to go with if mymmifying a chicken is one lol.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I highly recommend their teachers work boot that accompanies the text. It's light on worksheets but filled with fun project ideas (like mummifying a chicken!)

between that and the Usborne history you should be set! Idk your child's reading level/interests, but we also used the Magic Tree House series as a springboard to investigate the historical period touched on in each book.

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting KickButtMama:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I really don't like using the computer for history that much.  I prefer  reading books together.   I also plan my own lessons for history and science.  I have tried different programs but I still prefer my own.  Sometimes I will even add history and science together.  I tried Story of the World but found it didn't suit the needs of my kids.  If do like using the Internet for history and science.  We are a very technological family.  I suggest you back up your files.  There are many options out there.  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I love being able to use the internet too...and I have backed up my files...but I have no way to access them, so they do me absolutely no good. Everything is on an external harddrive that has been disconnected from the network currently to keep it safe from whatever is plauging the electronics in my house and even if it was connected to the network, the kindle can't access it, and if it could, I couldn't print anything...still keeping it useless.

We do read a lot for history, but that is not how my daughter learns and she is hating history more and more because of the reading we already do... I don't dislike what we're using other than everything is on the computer so I can't access the projects and maps that go with the lessons. If I don't have something hands on I just wasted all of our time with her. I would make up my own lesson, but since I majored in history...I tend to get a little too deep in subjects too quickly and I lose her yet again, so I need something to reign me in lol.

Quoting jen2150:

I really don't like using the computer for history that much.  I prefer  reading books together.   I also plan my own lessons for history and science.  I have tried different programs but I still prefer my own.  Sometimes I will even add history and science together.  I tried Story of the World but found it didn't suit the needs of my kids.  If do like using the Internet for history and science.  We are a very technological family.  I suggest you back up your files.  There are many options out there.  

homeschoolx3
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

If they would quit making everything in China, people would have half the problems! The problem is substandard chinese made junk that doesnt last a year.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Try accessing your library. Or maybe even a used book store. We buy used books that are much older than the mainstream today as they are whitewashing  what really happened in History. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN