Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Required State testing.

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM
  • 17 Replies

I am having trouble finding where to find the "comprehensive examination" that is required by my state, in grades 3, 5, 8 and 10.  I can't find out who can give the examinations either. Where should I start looking? I wish we didn't have to do them, but we will. That is if I can convince my DH to let us homeschool for real. DCG's Mom will agree with anything DH and I decide, she's is just thrilled that I'm willing to take DCG on as a student. So far we are doing fine with our virtual schooling, both kids are ahead of schedule and doing fairly well. But I'm ready and so are the children to venture out into more traditional homeschooling. This is the one thing I still need to find information on for when we present our homeschool preposal to him. (It sounds very formal and official when I word it like that, but i really isn't. LOL) DH is afraid that the kids will fall behind other kids, that they will take advantage of what he see as my softness, and that they will not be able to function if they ever have to go back to a B&M school. Maybe knowing that they have to be tested with a state approved test will help him feel less worried about their education.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Hmm, we don't have them here, but I'd probably call the board of Ed they might know.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Many Classical Conversations groups will allow others to join their testing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
What state? Pennsylvania homeschoolers offers the terra nova in the fall. They have maybe 10 locations all over Pennsylvania, we'll be using them for my oldest's testing next year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Bookstores have state core state

http://nysedregents.org/

ScarletRose4488
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I believe that most, if not all states, are required to offer certain public school services to homeschoolers. One of those services is standardized testing. You can also see if you qualify under K12.com. Just an FYI... most states are also required to offer electives, sports, & special needs services.
Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM

In my research, most states are not REQUIRED to offer any of these.  Some districts do it, some don't.  Some states have it in laws they have to, without making the child enroll, most do not, and the children have to enroll for a class to do these.

I would look over the laws and talk with local homeschoolers to see how they do it.

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

I believe that most, if not all states, are required to offer certain public school services to homeschoolers. One of those services is standardized testing. You can also see if you qualify under K12.com. Just an FYI... most states are also required to offer electives, sports, & special needs services.

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

We are in Oregon.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

What state? Pennsylvania homeschoolers offers the terra nova in the fall. They have maybe 10 locations all over Pennsylvania, we'll be using them for my oldest's testing next year.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Is there a state homeschooling group or local coop that would know?  Here in WI we have a large statewide hs group that has all the answers for the legal questions.  

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

As far as I know my state doesn't require public schools to offer any services to homeschoolers. It would be great if the did, once the kids are older electives and higher level sciences would be great.

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

noraa21
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I'm in Oregon too, let me take a look and see if I still have some of the things from two years ago about testing, they sent me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)