Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am having trouble finding where to find the "comprehensive examination" that is required by my state, in grades 3, 5, 8 and 10.  I can't find out who can give the examinations either. Where should I start looking? I wish we didn't have to do them, but we will. That is if I can convince my DH to let us homeschool for real. DCG's Mom will agree with anything DH and I decide, she's is just thrilled that I'm willing to take DCG on as a student. So far we are doing fine with our virtual schooling, both kids are ahead of schedule and doing fairly well. But I'm ready and so are the children to venture out into more traditional homeschooling. This is the one thing I still need to find information on for when we present our homeschool preposal to him. (It sounds very formal and official when I word it like that, but i really isn't. LOL) DH is afraid that the kids will fall behind other kids, that they will take advantage of what he see as my softness, and that they will not be able to function if they ever have to go back to a B&M school. Maybe knowing that they have to be tested with a state approved test will help him feel less worried about their education.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Replies (11-17):
noraa21
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, sorry I can't find my other information I was looking for, but this gives a list of county and authorized tester, you could probably e-mai/call them and get more specific informaiton. I will keep looking for the other stuff I thought I still had. 

http://www.ode.state.or.us/teachlearn/specialty/home/hstesterlist.pdf

oredeb
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM

hi messed up, what part of oregon are you in?

heres some testers(just click on the word here down below!!!)

Was your child in public or private school on or after February 15th during the last school year?

• If YES, then no assessment is required this year. OAR 581-021-0026 (5)(a)(A) Have fun homeschooling!

Assessments must be done by August 15th of the year that your child completes grades 3, 5, 8 and 10. However, no assessment is required during the first 18 months after a child leaves school. For example, if your child was in school for 2nd grade until at least Feb. 15th, then no assessment is required for 3rd grade, because the assessment would be within 18 months after the child leaves school.

• If NO, then your child must take an approved standardized test by August 15th of the year that your child completes grades 3, 5, 8 and 10. You choose and pay for the testing to be administered by a state-certified tester, a list of which can be found here. A qualified tester is a neutral party (not related to the child) who is a licensed teacher or psychological examiner, or who has met the qualifications for purchasing the test directly from the publisher. For more information on who can administer a test, go here. Some testers offer group or private testing, some even in your home. You may want to get a recommendation from homeschoolers in your area before choosing a tester.

Approved tests are the two most recent versions of the following:
    • California Achievement Test (now TerraNova)
    • Comprehensive Tests of Basic Skills
    • Iowa Tests of Basic Skills/Tests of Achievement and Proficiency
    • Metropolitan Achievement Battery
    • Stanford Achievement Test Battery OAR 581-021-0026 (1)(a)
    (Note: Many testers only offer one or two of these tests.)

The tester provides the results to you. If the ESD requests your child's test scores, only the composite score (combined math and verbal) needs to be submitted. OAR 581-021-0026 (7)(a) If the ESD requests your child's test scores but you have not yet received them from the tester, simply let the ESD know that you will submit them when you get them.
MessedUpMama
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Thank you. That will be very helpful when looking for someone to do the testing. Do you know if the tests are available all year or just in the Spring?

Quoting noraa21:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, sorry I can't find my other information I was looking for, but this gives a list of county and authorized tester, you could probably e-mai/call them and get more specific informaiton. I will keep looking for the other stuff I thought I still had. 

http://www.ode.state.or.us/teachlearn/specialty/home/hstesterlist.pdf

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM

We are in Salem.

Thank you, I'm happy to have this information. Do you know how much the tests cost? What happens if the child skips a grade, or is held back a grade? For example: DS is redoing 3rd grade this year, if we were homeschooling and he was tested last year would he have to test again this year since he's still in third grade. or could we skip it until 5th?

Quoting oredeb:

Was your child in public or private school on or after February 15th during the last school year?

• If YES, then no assessment is required this year. OAR 581-021-0026 (5)(a)(A) Have fun homeschooling!

Assessments must be done by August 15th of the year that your child completes grades 3, 5, 8 and 10. However, no assessment is required during the first 18 months after a child leaves school. For example, if your child was in school for 2nd grade until at least Feb. 15th, then no assessment is required for 3rd grade, because the assessment would be within 18 months after the child leaves school.

• If NO, then your child must take an approved standardized test by August 15th of the year that your child completes grades 3, 5, 8 and 10. You choose and pay for the testing to be administered by a state-certified tester, a list of which can be found here. A qualified tester is a neutral party (not related to the child) who is a licensed teacher or psychological examiner, or who has met the qualifications for purchasing the test directly from the publisher. For more information on who can administer a test, go here. Some testers offer group or private testing, some even in your home. You may want to get a recommendation from homeschoolers in your area before choosing a tester.

The tester provides the results to you. If the ESD requests your child's test scores, only the composite score (combined math and verbal) needs to be submitted. OAR 581-021-0026 (7)(a) If the ESD requests your child's test scores but you have not yet received them from the tester, simply let the ESD know that you will submit them when you get them.

noraa21
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Quoting MessedUpMama:

We are in Salem.

Thank you, I'm happy to have this information. Do you know how much the tests cost? What happens if the child skips a grade, or is held back a grade? For example: DS is redoing 3rd grade this year, if we were homeschooling and he was tested last year would he have to test again this year since he's still in third grade. or could we skip it until 5th?

Quoting oredeb:

Wow messed up, you are in my neck of the woods, I am Independence.  Assuming your son was pulled from public school this year then you should not have to test until 5th grade, as there is a 18 month period before you would be required to test them, if it falls during a non testing year then you would just wait until 5th grade, or at least that's my understanding.

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Quoting noraa21:

Quoting MessedUpMama:

We are in Salem.

Quoting oredeb:

Wow messed up, you are in my neck of the woods, I am Independence.  Assuming your son was pulled from public school this year then you should not have to test until 5th grade, as there is a 18 month period before you would be required to test them, if it falls during a non testing year then you would just wait until 5th grade, or at least that's my understanding.

Thank you again. =)  That's the way I understood it too, but I was worried that I was wrong. If I can get DH to agree, DS will be homeschooled next year. So it won't really effect us because he would have to test in 5th grade either way.

Do you know how much it costs for the testing? I hope it free, but I'm fairly sure it will cost from the things I've read.

oredeb
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM

messed up, i have never tested here but i do know it costs something, my friends kids take the test every year here in portland! and its always in the spring only, the lady sends out a paper that says when she is testing  my friends contact the lady and then take the kids and go test!

Do you know how much it costs for the testing? I hope it free, but I'm fairly sure it will cost from the things I've read.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)