Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: Would You Give Your Child Medicinal Marijuana?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 17 Replies

Parents Control Son's Autistic Rages With Pot

Posted by Jeanne Sager

marijuanaTough question for parents: would you give your child medicinal pot? What if your child has a disease that's caused both autism and a seizure disorder and together the two sent your child into uncontrollable rages, even made your 11-year-old hurt himself?

This is the life of Alex Echols, a little boy from Oregon who is giving parents of autistic kids with uncontrollable rage hope. He can't communicate with his caregivers to explain why he would headbutt things so hard that his entire face is black and blue. But since he started drinking a liquid form of cannabis, he isn't hurting himself anymore.

Hard to argue with that, right? Especially when you look at the picture of Alex, wearing a helmet and bloodied, atop the Echols family blog. Next to it is a picture of Alex without the helmet, his skin as it should be.

It's a no-brainer. Parents want the happy, healthy kid. Not the one who is beating themselves up with no way of controlling themselves.

So pot it is ... right?

Medical marijuana is not currently considered a treatment for autism. But it is one for seizures. And consider an estimated 1/3 of kids with autism also have seizures, the chances of this treatment going mainstream are getting higher by the day.

The Echols' case is already getting national attention, with parents jumping on their Facebook page and blog to share stories of how cannabis has helped their kids. They're drawn, too, to the story of how the Echols are fighting to gain acceptance for this treatment for kids who have similar rages to Alex.

Because of his severe case of Tuberous Sclerosis, the rare, genetic disorder that causes unregulated growth of non-malignant tissue in his body and is blamed for both his seizures and his autism symptoms, Alex lives in a group home. The only problem? The drug -- which the Echols obtain legally in Oregon under the state's medical marijuana program -- can't be administered by the folks at the home. The couple have to take their son off-site three times a week so he can drink his cocktail.

Their current fight against the prohibition of cannabis and to gain acceptance for treatment of these rages with something they say works is one that could make a major difference for kids across America.

Would you consider using pot to help your child?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Yes I would, it isn't the BAD plant that the government would have you believe it is. There are a lot of things that it can help with & we are fools for outlawing it. Just My 2 Cents!

CareBearsMom3
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

-- Yes.   

Ravishing_dame
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Yes I would.  It is a plant, not some laboratory made drug.  I don't let society dictate to me what I can and cannot do for my own kids.  As long as I have an ok and my child in the end will be at ease with whatever she is coping with. 

paris2lmp
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Yes, if it was for a medical reason.  My parents are medical cannabis providers and I have heard/seen some amazing results from people who would otherwise suffer needlessly.  Its amazing! 

OneDay.
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Possibly. 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM
No. I have autism and know it can be controlled without medications. I see no reason to medicate myself unnecessarily.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
faerymage04
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I have 2 boys with autism and I would not consider this treatment.

oredeb
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM

if it was the only natural way to control it oh yes!! i would also use the herb to help any other medical issues naturally

i use hemp oil in my soap, salves and lip balms

we have little marijuana stores all over here in our town, and just right over the border its been voted legal to use

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Not to mean any offence, but would it be possible to get yor story? I mean, how you have managed and would it took to help yourself?  

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

No. I have autism and know it can be controlled without medications. I see no reason to medicate myself unnecessarily.

undefined

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN