Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It finally clicked!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

So my 6th grade son who could do fractions like no ones business last year in school can't do them this year, after having worked on them forever, I stumbled upon an easy way to teach him fractions last night while looking or some worksheets for my 1st grade niece to do today while she is here. 

So who would have guessed it's in the dance moves and a simple boom, boom, pow, or that pow, pow, or flip, pow, pow would make him understand! At least he gets them now and just whipped through 3 worksheets of fractions without one word of complaining! 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Huh, that's a new one! Awesome!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Cool! Where did you find it? I'm dd is young but I'm taking down all info.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM

What's the site? Would love to try it out!!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

That's great!

tnt-manda
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Love those "light bulb" moments!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM

oh boy nora!! you gotta  share!!!!

noraa21
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Quoting oredeb:

I found this video on you tube and had DS watch it, after that it just clicked for him, I had never been taught to do fractions that way so I was having him do it the long drawn out way and he hated it.  This lady is over in London or some place near there, she has a book that I am going to get for him for our math. 

She relates math to everyday things like dance moves, or with algebra she uses the sims game and relates it to a video game, it's really hard to explain but once you watch the vidoe you would probably understand.  I really wish she would consider doing a whole video series of the lessons, and not just a couple on you tube.  My son loves it and that's half the battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o32bnoLZaM

oredeb
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM

wow nora, that was good, i think i will order that book also, gona show all the kids these videos thanks for finding this! makes it so easy to understand!

Quoting noraa21:

Quoting oredeb:

I found this video on you tube and had DS watch it, after that it just clicked for him, I had never been taught to do fractions that way so I was having him do it the long drawn out way and he hated it.  This lady is over in London or some place near there, she has a book that I am going to get for him for our math. 

She relates math to everyday things like dance moves, or with algebra she uses the sims game and relates it to a video game, it's really hard to explain but once you watch the vidoe you would probably understand.  I really wish she would consider doing a whole video series of the lessons, and not just a couple on you tube.  My son loves it and that's half the battle.

noraa21
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Quoting oredeb:

wow nora, that was good, i think i will order that book also, gona show all the kids these videos thanks for finding this! makes it so easy to understand!

Quoting noraa21:

Quoting oredeb:

You're welcome, I know when I watched it I was like darn now it makes sense, math is one of those subjects I tend to shy away from, while for the most part my son loves it and the more the merrier!  I'm not ashamed to admit it took me 6 years to get through college algebra, I watched her video and was like so that's how you do it! LOL.  They have some of the books on Ebay for like around $50 with free shipping I think it was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN