Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School room!!!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hi everyone!

This may have already been touched on a million times, but I need ideas on organization!

I have a small room that we use as a school room...it also doubles as our dining room.

I would love to see pictures and hear ideas on how to make a small room organized enough for school!

What organizational items do you use? What do you do with your child's school work after he/she is done with it?

Thanks in advance!! :)

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Here is the last thread on this ... I know mine hasn't changed too much from those pics...

The only thing different is that I added a time line that goes across the wall from DD's desk (starts by the tall bookshelf) and goes the length of the wall above the loveseat.

Sorry it's such a small segment of the timeline- but I have to use my phone as my camera is broken and I wanted to show the detail not just a stripe on the wall.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

suziejax
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:33 PM

my dd would not want to be in the pic but I will take a pic of our room once she is done with school for the day ( if I can remember to lol) 

Ravishing_dame
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Since I HAVE to report school work to an outside coordinator, I have binders for each kids with slots for each subject they are required by the coordinator to learn.  That is where their school work goes.  I have tubs with drawers that I keep supplies in and bookshelves... well for books =).  We had a spare bedroom we use.  I bought a whiteboard from Staples and we have that hung on the wall with other traditional school decorations.  We have a long foldable table that works as their workstation.  It's actually quite fun once you get in the groove of things in making your own classroom :)

faeriemom1972
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Would a picture of my backyard count? Lol, just kidding. We don't have a school room, but I wanted to wish you luck getting organised anyway :)

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM

We converted our dinning room in to a  computer/learning center. we built a cabinet, shelves, a desk & book case door. I would take pictures but it is a mess right now because we are all sick & I am not feeling up to cleaning it just to photograph it.

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

This is the bookshelf that houses all of our current books and folders.This is our other bookshelf that is used for housing books that the kids use periodically.  As well as flash cards and books that we read.  Our library has gotten smaller since they have outgrown a bunch of books recently.

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

This is a cabinet we have in our living room that holds our games and other learning activities.Out side of cabinet.  Sorry they are sideways, but you get the picture.

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

This is my 4 1/2 yo's desk....aka folding table.  LOL  We use a boxed curric with DVD's, so she has the small tv and DVD player on her desk.  This is my 6 yo's desk.  You can see her tv and her DVD player sitting on the island.  You can also see her seatwork written out on the white board next to them.

This is how we are working around a small space.  My living room and dinning room are a "great room" so there is no designation where one begins or ends.  We have one desk near the kitchen and the other on the far end of our living room....about 15 feet apart (not nearly enough for them somedays).  We are making it work b/c we have no other solution at the moment.

Good luck finding something that will work.  You will figure something out, and then rework it again and again until it is just right.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

My children's school room has changed a lot since we started homeschooling over six years ago.

When we started the kids were all still young and a couple of mine craved structure (i.e., desks) and my eldest who learns visually preferred a marker/chalk board.  So we created a school room that looked like a school room, which they liked.

Here was their learning area which was our dining room/family room combo. (excuse the kids in the pic's, I normally don't share ones with them in it, but I can't find any pics of our old school room w/o them)

We had a calender/weather area.

and the rest of the room was our dining room for awhile.  Then I got rid of the table in there and made the rest of the room into our computer/music area which I can't seem to find a picture of, but then again those pictures are ages old.

We've since moved and made our dining room/family room combo into something different which we refer to as our Study given our kids are reaching their teen years and pretty much work independently.

The older kids have laptops (not shown) that they do their programming and online work at their desk.  Also they sometimes will school in our Study, and sometimes my older ones will work elsewhere so we've become more relaxed on "where" we school as long as it's done which seems to not be an issue.

and we will share with the younger kids sometimes my husband and my computer which are facing the wall near the easel.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

We have a lot of the same stuff.

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Since I HAVE to report school work to an outside coordinator, I have binders for each kids with slots for each subject they are required by the coordinator to learn.  That is where their school work goes.  I have tubs with drawers that I keep supplies in and bookshelves... well for books =).  We had a spare bedroom we use.  I bought a whiteboard from Staples and we have that hung on the wall with other traditional school decorations.  We have a long foldable table that works as their workstation.  It's actually quite fun once you get in the groove of things in making your own classroom :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)