Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Urggggg! (OT vent)

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 45 Replies

I hate my landlords, and rather than break in and smother them in their sleep I figured I'd dump on all of you. We've lived in this apartment for 3 years. They are the most inappropriate landlords ever, constantly calling on us to not make noise (at NOON!) or because their tv isn't working (yes, you read that right). Last year our bright yellow 1970's oven died, it took them 4 days to replace it. Well, this is an older house. We've gotten used to popping fuses about once a month. No biggie, except the only way to get to the breaker is through the landloards kitchen. So of course we have to hear that we have too much plugged in to the 4 outlets in our house. Well, yesterday a bunch of fuses blew - so none of the plugs or lights in our bedroom/livingroom, main hallway, (aka our chest freezer) or our office work. It's only an 800 sq foot apartment, but it's oddly shaped - like an "l"  so only having working plugs and lights in the kitchen and bath is rediculous. Well, the landloards begged us yesterday to wait till today to have an electrician in so they don't have to pay the extra to get the electrician out on a Sunday. So we acquiesced. Well, by about 2 PM, I'm going crazy in the dark, as are the kids. I call the landloards and am told it may not be fixed till Thursday! That since there's snow flurries out today no electrician will come....uh, WHAT?! So I call an electrician, and he says he will be here this evening, by 5pm. She says that's fine...well, now that it's 3:30, she calls and says she is going to take her family to dinner from 4:30-7. And because of their religious beliefs they will not pay for any services on a Tuesday. I'm bout ready to cry I'm so frustrated!! I had to call and beg the electrician to get here before 4:30, but he is finishing a job down the street and is moving as fast as he can. I just don't know what to do!!,

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM
4 moms liked this

WHY are you putting up with that crap?? I would totally file a complaint with the City for failure to provide services and would be looking for a place to move! I couldn't have my landlord all up my butt and it's ILLEGAL for you to be without services that long!

(Thanks God again that my landlords are AWESOME!)

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely look into renters laws for your city and state because it sounds like they are violating quite a few.... And I'd like to know of what religion prevents you from paying...anything...on any day of the week...That one really just doesn't sit right.  I could see my hubby going..."Okay, it's Wednesday, here's the bill for the services from yesterday you're responsible for paying."

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
BramblePatch
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:43 PM
You need to call the housing authority ASAP. Your landlords but will be in BIG trouble. Honestly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Dude. What are they? 3rd Day Adventists?!?

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Yuck!!  I sure hope you can get an electrician over there today!!  I would find out your rights on the noise issue.  It just seems ridiculous to have noise complaints in the middle of the day.  It's not fair to your family to constantly worry about noise.  I know, I've been there.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM

ROTFLOL!!!!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Knightquester
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, smothering them in their sleep sounds like it would solve a lot of your problems, lol j/k.  In any case, I would be going crazy if I were in your shoes.

I'm guessing you're putting up with things in this place due to financial reasons and feel somewhat stuck between a rock and a hard place, because you can't afford to move or find better, but you can't stand where you're at.  In this respect I've been there, but with more tolerable landlords.  I would shop and see if you can get the same deal you've got now, or better every day this year and try to see if you can snag better.  I have gotten lucky in the past after months of searching, so here's hoping you do too.

In the mean time I would document everything that your landlords are do.  If you decide to not report them now because you fear retaliation you have the legal right to report them upon your leaving the place and I believe in most states up to a year after.

I wish you and your family the best of luck and more so I wished I could be of more help.  Hang in there... there's always a light at the end every dark "I" shaped tunnel (that isn't a bathroom or kitchen).

btw.. what religion doesn't believe in paying for services on Tuesday... just curious?

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I was thinking the same thing!!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I hope that you got your electrician out before 4:30.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Thanks ladies. We are kinda stuck because my DH was out of work for 2 years and has only been back to work for 4 weeks, so we literally can not move today. And technically we are on a month-to-month as we didn't get a new lease to sign last December when our lease was up, so they could literally give us 30 days notice to vacate. 

But I've been keeping a log. I made my DH take over talking with them as I could no longer be civil. The electrician hasn't been out as of yet. My land lady's excuse is we have electricity in the kitchen, so they have no need to re-arrange their schedules or pay for emergency coverage. 

They are Muslim, btw, not Adventists. I never knew Tuesday was a holy day for any religion before, until the oven thing, and they refused to replace it on a Tuesday. Grrr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN