Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I hate my landlords, and rather than break in and smother them in their sleep I figured I'd dump on all of you. We've lived in this apartment for 3 years. They are the most inappropriate landlords ever, constantly calling on us to not make noise (at NOON!) or because their tv isn't working (yes, you read that right). Last year our bright yellow 1970's oven died, it took them 4 days to replace it. Well, this is an older house. We've gotten used to popping fuses about once a month. No biggie, except the only way to get to the breaker is through the landloards kitchen. So of course we have to hear that we have too much plugged in to the 4 outlets in our house. Well, yesterday a bunch of fuses blew - so none of the plugs or lights in our bedroom/livingroom, main hallway, (aka our chest freezer) or our office work. It's only an 800 sq foot apartment, but it's oddly shaped - like an "l"  so only having working plugs and lights in the kitchen and bath is rediculous. Well, the landloards begged us yesterday to wait till today to have an electrician in so they don't have to pay the extra to get the electrician out on a Sunday. So we acquiesced. Well, by about 2 PM, I'm going crazy in the dark, as are the kids. I call the landloards and am told it may not be fixed till Thursday! That since there's snow flurries out today no electrician will come....uh, WHAT?! So I call an electrician, and he says he will be here this evening, by 5pm. She says that's fine...well, now that it's 3:30, she calls and says she is going to take her family to dinner from 4:30-7. And because of their religious beliefs they will not pay for any services on a Tuesday. I'm bout ready to cry I'm so frustrated!! I had to call and beg the electrician to get here before 4:30, but he is finishing a job down the street and is moving as fast as he can. I just don't know what to do!!,

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I found it out last month and had it out with the land lady when she showed up at our door.. She claimed my kids were jumping on their beds - I explained that was impossible, as the kids have bunk beds, and at that time were making rolls with me in the kitchen, she yelled at me that she "wasn't a liar" and that "this is her house and she can make the rules" so while my DH hid in the bedroom (chicken..lol) I flipped my lid. I explained that our town has a noise ordinance which doesn't come into effect until after 8 PM, so if I wanted to have a sexual orgy at noon I could. And that as long as we are paying our rent and following the laws then she has zero say with what we do inside the home. I nearly wrung her neck. I told her we would file harassment charges against her if she showed up out of the blue again for anything other than an emergency, as our state has pretty strict laws for landlords, and they have to give 24 hours notice to tenants before showing up or expecting enterance. 

Quoting irvinehiker:

Yuck!!  I sure hope you can get an electrician over there today!!  I would find out your rights on the noise issue.  It just seems ridiculous to have noise complaints in the middle of the day.  It's not fair to your family to constantly worry about noise.  I know, I've been there.

Knightquester
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

1st, my husbands a chicken, so that was a giggle for me...

2nd, I nearly died laughing... Afternoon orgy!  Did you really say that?!  ROFLMAO rolling on floor

Quoting KickButtMama:

I found it out last month and had it out with the land lady when she showed up at our door.. She claimed my kids were jumping on their beds - I explained that was impossible, as the kids have bunk beds, and at that time were making rolls with me in the kitchen, she yelled at me that she "wasn't a liar" and that "this is her house and she can make the rules" so while my DH hid in the bedroom (chicken..lol) I flipped my lid. I explained that our town has a noise ordinance which doesn't come into effect until after 8 PM, so if I wanted to have a sexual orgy at noon I could. And that as long as we are paying our rent and following the laws then she has zero say with what we do inside the home. I nearly wrung her neck. I told her we would file harassment charges against her if she showed up out of the blue again for anything other than an emergency, as our state has pretty strict laws for landlords, and they have to give 24 hours notice to tenants before showing up or expecting enterance. 

Quoting irvinehiker:

Yuck!!  I sure hope you can get an electrician over there today!!  I would find out your rights on the noise issue.  It just seems ridiculous to have noise complaints in the middle of the day.  It's not fair to your family to constantly worry about noise.  I know, I've been there.

As always, you rock hun.  Just hang in there and hopefully things will get better for you all!

(btw I think that the Tuesday not paying things is an excuse, maybe because they are stingy or maybe because they don't have the funds to pay and aren't willing to tell you for their own prideful reasons).

SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM
4 moms liked this

Aha! I cracked open my can of Google-fu and discovered that Milad Un Nabi or Malwid is celebrated Jan 29 for the Shi'a sect. Other Muslims celebrated it on Thursday, Jan 24 this year. It's the Prophet's birthday. And there's your World Religions fact of the day!

It's often celebrated by donating to the poor. Just tell her that you'd like electricity for your Malwid gift! *gg*

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I really, truly said it. My tongue gets away from me when I'm ticked, which is why hubby was hiding..lol

Quoting Knightquester:

1st, my husbands a chicken, so that was a giggle for me...

2nd, I nearly died laughing... Afternoon orgy!  Did you really say that?!  ROFLMAO rolling on floor

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting irvinehiker:

As always, you rock hun.  Just hang in there and hopefully things will get better for you all!

(btw I think that the Tuesday not paying things is an excuse, maybe because they are stingy or maybe because they don't have the funds to pay and aren't willing to tell you for their own prideful reasons).

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Aha! I cracked open my can of Google-fu and discovered that Milad Un Nabi or Malwid is celebrated Jan 29 for the Shi'a sect. Other Muslims celebrated it on Thursday, Jan 24 this year. It's the Prophet's birthday. And there's your World Religions fact of the day!

It's often celebrated by donating to the poor. Just tell her that you'd like electricity for your Malwid gift! *gg*

This is great, I hope she dose!

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I just explained some of this to my SO. 

Here is what he says he would do:

"Since the landlord was kind enough to agree to pay for services at least 6 days of the week, excluding Tuesday of course, that he should be entitled to a gift from me. Since I might not have a ton of spare cash, I figure the best gift would be one hat we could both share. In fact, what better to share than some high quality food. Since he's been kind enough to help replace the broken oven, using this oven to cook the gift would be a kind gesture indeed. So, here's my thought -- I already ordered about 5lbs of high quality bacon from Omaha Steaks, after all, they have some of the best bacon on the market. I would happily cook this wonderful bacon in my brand new broiler, assuming of course the breakers aren't blowing. So that we could both share, I would save around 2lbs for myself, and deliver the other 3lbs to my thoughful landlord. I don't think however that this would be quite enough to give to the landlord to show my appreciation, so I think the bacon should be accompanied by a brand-new Qur'an. Now, since I pride myself on being such a kind guy, I really think I should spend a little time bookmarking some of my favorite verses in the Qur'an, and what better to use as a bookmark then a few slices of uncooked bacon! Now THAT is thoughtful, wouldn't you agree?  When all is said and done, and to show my utmost respect for his Holy Day, I think delivering their gift of thanks on Tuesday would be the most appropriate, since this give them a good opportunity to use their brand-new Qur'an."

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM
I went through issues like that years ago but the landlord refused to honor the law of when heat is supposed to be on. He paid for the oil but we had no control over when it was filled. I called every agency that I could to get it fixed.
We got so fed up that we left. However, it was Connecticut so it was a lot of run around.

I hope this gets resolved soon for you. Maybe go to a hotel and send them the bill. (((Hugs)))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

eek, I'm IN CT!!

Quoting mamamedic69:

I went through issues like that years ago but the landlord refused to honor the law of when heat is supposed to be on. He paid for the oil but we had no control over when it was filled. I called every agency that I could to get it fixed.
We got so fed up that we left. However, it was Connecticut so it was a lot of run around.

I hope this gets resolved soon for you. Maybe go to a hotel and send them the bill. (((Hugs)))

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

This was in 2007-2008. If you need any help message me. I have lots of contacts up there still. Plus my mother used to work for the state. I went to school up there so all of my friends can help me out with info.

Quoting KickButtMama:

eek, I'm IN CT!!

Quoting mamamedic69:

cjsmom1
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM
For very religious Jewish people they don't carry money on Sabbath.

Quoting No_Difference:

I would definitely look into renters laws for your city and state because it sounds like they are violating quite a few.... And I'd like to know of what religion prevents you from paying...anything...on any day of the week...That one really just doesn't sit right.  I could see my hubby going..."Okay, it's Wednesday, here's the bill for the services from yesterday you're responsible for paying."

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you! 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN