Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate my landlords, and rather than break in and smother them in their sleep I figured I'd dump on all of you. We've lived in this apartment for 3 years. They are the most inappropriate landlords ever, constantly calling on us to not make noise (at NOON!) or because their tv isn't working (yes, you read that right). Last year our bright yellow 1970's oven died, it took them 4 days to replace it. Well, this is an older house. We've gotten used to popping fuses about once a month. No biggie, except the only way to get to the breaker is through the landloards kitchen. So of course we have to hear that we have too much plugged in to the 4 outlets in our house. Well, yesterday a bunch of fuses blew - so none of the plugs or lights in our bedroom/livingroom, main hallway, (aka our chest freezer) or our office work. It's only an 800 sq foot apartment, but it's oddly shaped - like an "l"  so only having working plugs and lights in the kitchen and bath is rediculous. Well, the landloards begged us yesterday to wait till today to have an electrician in so they don't have to pay the extra to get the electrician out on a Sunday. So we acquiesced. Well, by about 2 PM, I'm going crazy in the dark, as are the kids. I call the landloards and am told it may not be fixed till Thursday! That since there's snow flurries out today no electrician will come....uh, WHAT?! So I call an electrician, and he says he will be here this evening, by 5pm. She says that's fine...well, now that it's 3:30, she calls and says she is going to take her family to dinner from 4:30-7. And because of their religious beliefs they will not pay for any services on a Tuesday. I'm bout ready to cry I'm so frustrated!! I had to call and beg the electrician to get here before 4:30, but he is finishing a job down the street and is moving as fast as he can. I just don't know what to do!!,

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM

BRAVO !  BRAVO !   You go girl!  Awesome!   Now THAT is how you handle a situation that is getting out of hand.  I am proud of you.  :)  

Quoting KickButtMama:

I found it out last month and had it out with the land lady when she showed up at our door.. She claimed my kids were jumping on their beds - I explained that was impossible, as the kids have bunk beds, and at that time were making rolls with me in the kitchen, she yelled at me that she "wasn't a liar" and that "this is her house and she can make the rules" so while my DH hid in the bedroom (chicken..lol) I flipped my lid. I explained that our town has a noise ordinance which doesn't come into effect until after 8 PM, so if I wanted to have a sexual orgy at noon I could. And that as long as we are paying our rent and following the laws then she has zero say with what we do inside the home. I nearly wrung her neck. I told her we would file harassment charges against her if she showed up out of the blue again for anything other than an emergency, as our state has pretty strict laws for landlords, and they have to give 24 hours notice to tenants before showing up or expecting enterance. 

Quoting irvinehiker:

Yuck!!  I sure hope you can get an electrician over there today!!  I would find out your rights on the noise issue.  It just seems ridiculous to have noise complaints in the middle of the day.  It's not fair to your family to constantly worry about noise.  I know, I've been there.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM

"ok, I'll pay the electrician and just take it out of my rent, then."  

But, I'm pretty laid back and as long as they aren't screwing me, then I'm content to find a solution.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM

This is how my landlord handles almost everything.  I call them up with a problem and they ask me to pay it and send the reciept with my next rent payment minus the amount of the repairs.

Quoting KrissyKC:

But, I'm pretty laid back and as long as they aren't screwing me, then I'm content to find a solution.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I would love to....if we didn't HAVE to go through the landlords house to get to the basement! Lol

Quoting KrissyKC:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Omg, glad I'm not the only one to believe so! They once asked if they could steal our cable! You know, they would knock a few bucks off our rent if we would give them access to our wifi and such. I gently explained that I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Seriously I think your landlords have mental health issues.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM

So sorry this is happening.  Hope tomorrow is better. 

oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:42 PM

report her to the rental for peoples rights place or whatever its called!

so ridiculous! turn them in to some one!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM

It is now 8:49 PM, and after telling her this afternoon that I had left a message at the Housing Authority, our power was miraculously just fixed. So sad it had to devolve to me tattling like a 5 y/o. But I'm glad it's finally on and the kids can do their school work 2 morrow, and we'll finally have our house phone back on. I even tracked all my cell phone minutes wasted over the last 3 days.

Quoting oredeb:

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Wow!!  Amazing!!  On a religious holiday?!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

It is now 8:49 PM, and after telling her this afternoon that I had left a message at the Housing Authority, our power was miraculously just fixed. So sad it had to devolve to me tattling like a 5 y/o. But I'm glad it's finally on and the kids can do their school work 2 morrow, and we'll finally have our house phone back on. I even tracked all my cell phone minutes wasted over the last 3 days.

Quoting oredeb:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:20 AM

LOL.. glad you got it taken cara of ...I don't consider it tattling when it'sa health and safety issue!

Here is something for your landlord....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)