Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I hate my landlords, and rather than break in and smother them in their sleep I figured I'd dump on all of you. We've lived in this apartment for 3 years. They are the most inappropriate landlords ever, constantly calling on us to not make noise (at NOON!) or because their tv isn't working (yes, you read that right). Last year our bright yellow 1970's oven died, it took them 4 days to replace it. Well, this is an older house. We've gotten used to popping fuses about once a month. No biggie, except the only way to get to the breaker is through the landloards kitchen. So of course we have to hear that we have too much plugged in to the 4 outlets in our house. Well, yesterday a bunch of fuses blew - so none of the plugs or lights in our bedroom/livingroom, main hallway, (aka our chest freezer) or our office work. It's only an 800 sq foot apartment, but it's oddly shaped - like an "l"  so only having working plugs and lights in the kitchen and bath is rediculous. Well, the landloards begged us yesterday to wait till today to have an electrician in so they don't have to pay the extra to get the electrician out on a Sunday. So we acquiesced. Well, by about 2 PM, I'm going crazy in the dark, as are the kids. I call the landloards and am told it may not be fixed till Thursday! That since there's snow flurries out today no electrician will come....uh, WHAT?! So I call an electrician, and he says he will be here this evening, by 5pm. She says that's fine...well, now that it's 3:30, she calls and says she is going to take her family to dinner from 4:30-7. And because of their religious beliefs they will not pay for any services on a Tuesday. I'm bout ready to cry I'm so frustrated!! I had to call and beg the electrician to get here before 4:30, but he is finishing a job down the street and is moving as fast as he can. I just don't know what to do!!,

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Replies (41-45):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I don't know how much attention you give to world news, but Muslim landlords are notorious for violating rental agreements, state and local laws, and civil rights. Some Muslim landlords have murdered tenants in the name of shariah law. It doesn't sound like they will resort to murder (don't want to freak you out or seem like a drama queen!), but tread lightly, document everything, and don't spend one penny unnecessarily. You've got to find suitable shelter for your family. I hope you don't mind if I pray for you guys to receive a good opportunity soon.
Channell07
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM

It would be against my religion to pay rent in the month of February! UGH! I hate when people are like that.  I know that here in Ohio you can go to the courthouse (probably rental authorities of some sort) and pay your rent to them to put in trust.  They will withhold it from your landlord until they fix the issues that they haven't been fixing.  With you only being month-to-month though I don't know how wise that would be =(

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM

OMG That's classic! L:OL

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

LOL.. glad you got it taken cara of ...I don't consider it tattling when it'sa health and safety issue!

Here is something for your landlord....

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I agree. I think we could get a court to say we are on a verbal continuation of our lease - so technically I could fight the month-to-month. Because we agreed, in conversation with the landlords, that we would sign a new lease, with no changes to the old one. We wanted to, but she couldn't find the leasse, needed her 'sister' to help her get it organized, etc. So I'm fairly certain a judge would side with us that we are still covered under a full lease.

Quoting Channell07:

It would be against my religion to pay rent in the month of February! UGH! I hate when people are like that.  I know that here in Ohio you can go to the courthouse (probably rental authorities of some sort) and pay your rent to them to put in trust.  They will withhold it from your landlord until they fix the issues that they haven't been fixing.  With you only being month-to-month though I don't know how wise that would be =(

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I'm fairly certain we are safe, as the landlords, as a couple, are baffled and afraid of me. They don't understand a woman who is strong and not afraid to speak her mind. And I think it helps that I will periodically remind them that I'm physically fierce, by breaking boards - martial arts style - on our communal front porch. LOL. They know if they tried to face me in a physical confrontation they'd lose. I just explained that one of my black belts is in Krav Maga - Isreali Combat Fighting (what our special forces learn). lol

Quoting tuffymama:

I don't know how much attention you give to world news, but Muslim landlords are notorious for violating rental agreements, state and local laws, and civil rights. Some Muslim landlords have murdered tenants in the name of shariah law. It doesn't sound like they will resort to murder (don't want to freak you out or seem like a drama queen!), but tread lightly, document everything, and don't spend one penny unnecessarily. You've got to find suitable shelter for your family. I hope you don't mind if I pray for you guys to receive a good opportunity soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN