Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you homeschooling in disgust of public schools?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM
  • 58 Replies
5 moms liked this

I have not always been homeschooling.  In fact, I only started two years ago.  During the years my daughters had been going to their public school, there were times when certain things really bothered me and sometimes outright RAGED me! 

The last straw was my 9yo old daughter Satine (7 at the time), telling me how she can't go to recess because her teacher was getting mad at her for not finishing her work and she had to do it during recess.  Her damn teacher keeping her in during recess!!!  Kids have a stress level that need to be let out by playing.  After talking with my daughter, I concluded that the reason my daughter didn't finish her work, is because she wanted to take her time to make sure her answered were right.  Satine doesn't like making mistakes, she's my little perfectionist.  You all may think I'm over reacting, but what right does a teacher have in punishing my little girl for taking her time on her school work? 

I got so sick and tired of these political and social agendas in the school.  Every month I had a petition shoved in my face about this or that and how something is going against this amendment, or against morality , etc etc.  Letters about government programs starting and ending, how the district is concerend with "scooores!"

I no longer felt my daughters were safe in school.  My daughters teachers seemed like they hated their job and were taking it out on the children.  These are just a few reason why I am so revolted with the public school system.  I don't have time to go on about everything.  Has anyone else experienced such negativity with public schools that you HAD to pull your kids out?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I pulled my 7 year old out in kindergarten because the school having so many students and not being able to meet her educational needs.  She was slightly ahead of the other kids.  She was reading and could add and subtract  single digits without pictures.  She could do a few other things too.  Because most of the students were still learning thier alphabet she as extremely bored.

LisaSmock
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM
I'm sending my son to public school next year it's a small school and his grandma thought there for 30yrs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
arctophile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I pulled my oldest out after she was physically assaulted on the school bus by 2 much older students.  The bus driver ignored it happening and the school would have done nothing at all if not for the media getting involved.  The elementary principal tried to say that my DD (6 at the time) provoked the whole thing by picking on a 13 year old.  Okay then.

I still planned to let my others attend the school, but at the beginning of the next year, the K teacher called my 5yo a liar when she said she couldn't read.  She said this in front of the class and then repeated the story (including that she called DD a liar) to my DH in the hallway of the school.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I pulled my daughter out of 1st because in K she had already learned everything they were doing 1st (we moved after her K yr and were in a different state). Didn't matter that we brought in all her work from the old shool - which was literally the exact same stuff in most cases - they wouldn't let her skip or challenge her. I told them if they didn't give her anything to work on, she was going to get bored and start failing on the bascis sine that is her personality, and they told me it was my problem. I tried working with her when she came home from school, but it was too much for her and sure enough, her grades start slipping. Then they tell her she's reading and adding wrong. So everything went down hill fast. Then the bullying started from not only the students, but the teachers....and the staff had the nerve to try and intimidate my hubby and I too. They started lying to us, not telling us about any injuries she obtained at school (there were many that went untreated). Our final absolute straw was when some kid cut her hair, and then the school called the emergency contacts on our list to let THEM know and LIED to our faces when we confronted them saying that they couldn't reach us.  Not a single one of our phones were ever called...  There were times when the power was out at the school for a week, and they never notified the parents until after the power was fixed and told the kids not to tell their parents. They had to schedule bathroom breaks because they couldn't use bathrooms at the school and had to use a nearby church.... There were so much wrong. And since the other schools in the area didn't have ratings that were all that much better - we just went straight to homeschooling.

KateRobinson
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi!

I'm not homeschooling yet, thought I teach a lot of classes for homeschoolers (and do plan to homeschool for a few years at least, when my LO is big enough),  BUT, I feel like I have to, to a degree, come to the defense of schools.  Or, more specifically, teachers.  

I come from a family of teachers and I know that my parents and aunts/uncles were incredibly powerful teachers -- the one-of-a-kind teachers who put their all into every class and do their best for every student.  But, over the years that changed.   My parents (now retired) felt like they lost their effect as teachers, not because they were bad teachers but because education priorities changed so much they were not ABLE to teach --  found it highly disheartening.  Often, Teachers are not expected to teach these days - they are expected to ingrain children with certain facts so that the students can spew said facts during testing so that the school can afford to keep their teachers (not to mention 'extra' programming).  And the mainstreaming of all students is a problem, too - that's probably where your daughter got caught in the middle -- she wasn't doing anything wrong, but the politicized education system forces teachers to just 'push kids through' without caring what effect it has on the kids.  

The pressure on teachers to 'scooore' is ridiculous and, sadly, it is the children who are losing out.  

I guess what I am saying is that I understand your reasons for being fed up with the public school systems -- but I don't know that it's the school's problem (or at least not alone) - it's a government problem. And it's trickled down, first to administrators, then to teachers, and then (worst of all) to students.

But there ARE good teachers out there.  But, sadly, those are going away, as more of the good ones get fed up and get out.  I hope and pray that changes...somehow...someday.

allthatjazz251
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I'm disgusted with the public schools here. They are waaaaay to liberal and are teaching things I do not approve of. The passing of SB48 (California) was the deal breaker.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM

That's just one of the many reasons I started.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Er, no.

Not entirely.

I don't care for our local public schools, but they do the best they can with the resources they have. I think our local teachers are wonderful - most of them do not care for the standards they are required to keep or the way politics run their schools.

I think some public schools, in other areas are very good.

I personally prefer private schools (we are Catholic and prefer a faith integrated education for our children).

... but no, I'm not disgusted with our schools; I just choose not to settle.

I homeschool for many reasons. Outright disgust isn't among those reasons.

I will say that the education system in the United States, in general, is broken, but I do also believe that this wasn't intentional on any one person's part.

There is a good bit of kick back from many, saying that homeschoolers are selfish for pulling upper class, bright children out of the public school system. THAT is part of my issue with schools. Our bright children are expected to draw the short stick and be kept down, in order to bring others up a bit. Not cool. At all.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Quoting KateRobinson:

Hi!

I'm not homeschooling yet, thought I teach a lot of classes for homeschoolers (and do plan to homeschool for a few years at least, when my LO is big enough),  BUT, I feel like I have to, to a degree, come to the defense of schools.  Or, more specifically, teachers.  

I come from a family of teachers and I know that my parents and aunts/uncles were incredibly powerful teachers -- the one-of-a-kind teachers who put their all into every class and do their best for every student.  But, over the years that changed.   My parents (now retired) felt like they lost their effect as teachers, not because they were bad teachers but because education priorities changed so much they were not ABLE to teach --  found it highly disheartening.  Often, Teachers are not expected to teach these days - they are expected to ingrain children with certain facts so that the students can spew said facts during testing so that the school can afford to keep their teachers (not to mention 'extra' programming).  And the mainstreaming of all students is a problem, too - that's probably where your daughter got caught in the middle -- she wasn't doing anything wrong, but the politicized education system forces teachers to just 'push kids through' without caring what effect it has on the kids.  

The pressure on teachers to 'scooore' is ridiculous and, sadly, it is the children who are losing out.  

I guess what I am saying is that I understand your reasons for being fed up with the public school systems -- but I don't know that it's the school's problem (or at least not alone) - it's a government problem. And it's trickled down, first to administrators, then to teachers, and then (worst of all) to students.

But there ARE good teachers out there.  But, sadly, those are going away, as more of the good ones get fed up and get out.  I hope and pray that changes...somehow...someday.

I see this more and more. It is amazing how many teachers have left teaching... and, what's more, who have pulled their children out of the public schools themselves, in recent years. It isn't the teachers - it's the system. For example, I do not know ONE teacher in favor of the level of standardized testing currently taking place in most states.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this

We chose to do this before our DD was old enough to enter school.  I am a product of our local PS system.  I waited a few years to go to college and was going to school with kids that came out worse than I did.  I can tell that it has only gotten worse.  I refuse to send my bright beautiful child to them who is borderline genius (haven't had her tested) to them to let them ruin her and suck her love of learning right out of her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)