Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you homeschooling in disgust of public schools?

I have not always been homeschooling.  In fact, I only started two years ago.  During the years my daughters had been going to their public school, there were times when certain things really bothered me and sometimes outright RAGED me! 

The last straw was my 9yo old daughter Satine (7 at the time), telling me how she can't go to recess because her teacher was getting mad at her for not finishing her work and she had to do it during recess.  Her damn teacher keeping her in during recess!!!  Kids have a stress level that need to be let out by playing.  After talking with my daughter, I concluded that the reason my daughter didn't finish her work, is because she wanted to take her time to make sure her answered were right.  Satine doesn't like making mistakes, she's my little perfectionist.  You all may think I'm over reacting, but what right does a teacher have in punishing my little girl for taking her time on her school work? 

I got so sick and tired of these political and social agendas in the school.  Every month I had a petition shoved in my face about this or that and how something is going against this amendment, or against morality , etc etc.  Letters about government programs starting and ending, how the district is concerend with "scooores!"

I no longer felt my daughters were safe in school.  My daughters teachers seemed like they hated their job and were taking it out on the children.  These are just a few reason why I am so revolted with the public school system.  I don't have time to go on about everything.  Has anyone else experienced such negativity with public schools that you HAD to pull your kids out?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
QueenCreole313
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes!! We had the same issue with my son being kept in day after day. Bullies, teachers without compassion, the piles and piles of homework. Kids talking about guns in schools and talking about other things I did not want y child aware of. My son is highly sensitive. Also, the large class sizes were too much! I can go on myself. How any child can make it in a system designed to make money (not for the enrichment and education if the child), where they are attacked by other students and adults for bing different, is beyond me. Times have truly changed! 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

After our school failed to give the education to our oldest that she needed, we went ahead and pulled her after 1st. We also didn't like how most of the kids acted, honestly.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM
My daughter had a pretty good time in school until second grade. That was about the time I realized what no child left behind meant. A few weeks into school she would come home saying she's bored. I had planned on pulling her out at winter break. Then a third grader attacked her over a necklace! I pulled her out two days later.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KateRobinson
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Amen, AutymsMommy.  So sad.....

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I see this more and more. It is amazing how many teachers have left teaching... and, what's more, who have pulled their children out of the public schools themselves, in recent years. It isn't the teachers - it's the system. For example, I do not know ONE teacher in favor of the level of standardized testing currently taking place in most states.

mrs.stephie
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM

The main reason for me was the focus on testing and the enforcing of many pointless rules.  For example, having to do "line practice" instead of being able to have recess.   My DS is an advanced reader and very creative, because of this I think the set the bar too high and were constantly pressuring him.  He loves to learn but was crying he didn't want to go to school.  Also,  as an energetic and talkative child the "sit down and shut up"  public school environment was not a good fit.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

We HS'ed from day one.

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Where do I begin? lol  There are so many reasons why we home school. The last 36 years have molded me into becoming a homeschool mom. When I was a kid I had a handful of teachers that I felt were just awful. I never told my mom anything that happened until I was grown. I was a good, quiet child and was still bullied by my elementary teachers. One teacher would scream at me in front of the class and kept me in every recess because my handwriting wasn't to his standards. At one point he slung my desk and its contents all over the floor while calling me names in front of the the other kids. I don't let my experiences affect my kids but I did learn from those experiences and I am a more protective and active parent because of them. I worked in a private school for 4 years before having kids and I liked what I saw but private is so expensive and I want to be able to stay home with my kids so private isn't an option for us. I have seen the public schools around here by being involved with my nieces school activities and they are horrible! Now we live in a small town with the best rated schools in our area. My family persuaded me to enroll my daughter for K this year. She was excited, I was excited for her but it was everything I imagined and more. After 4 days I saw my self confident, happy little girl become very self conscious and started to have behavior problems. In those few days she was there she was lost twice, locked out of the school on the playground alone, told she couldn't participate with the class because she had the wrong crayons, bullied by her teacher, yanked by her teacher and dehydrated. When I spoke with her teacher to try and make the situation work she told me that what happens at school is not my business. She said "If a kid bites your kid on my time then that's my business, not yours"! When I contacted the principal twice, he never returned my emails. My daughter was terrified of lunch and recess because that's when she had been lost and locked out of the school. She was also scared because she was yelled at when she was found. My husband and I decided it was in her best interest and for her safety to pull her out. She will not be going back. I think that some teachers just can't control themselves, especially with 24 little kids in their classroom. I really wanted it to be a different experience for her. Public schools will never be our option again.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Sadly, an 11year old girl committed suicide here this past weekend do to bullying. 8 (
KALmommy
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM

The final straw for me was when my daughter came home and told me she wasn't allowed to check out the book she wanted at the library because her teacher and and the librarian both told her it was too hard for her to read.  She was in Kindergarten but a very advanced reader (she entered K reading chapter books).  She wanted to get a Junie B. Jones book.  She had already read (and comprehended) several of them.  Besides the fact, even if it was too hard for her to read, who is to say I wasn't going to read it to her??  Then both my older son and my daughter are very advanced and they were not being allowed to work at a higher level.  We were in an extremely small school district where classes were blended anyways so it wouldn't have been hard to move them "up a grade".  It literally would have meant moving them to the other side of the classroom.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Yes. My daughters life was threatened and the school felt this was normal. I could not trust the childrens safety.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN