Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you homeschooling in disgust of public schools?

I have not always been homeschooling.  In fact, I only started two years ago.  During the years my daughters had been going to their public school, there were times when certain things really bothered me and sometimes outright RAGED me! 

The last straw was my 9yo old daughter Satine (7 at the time), telling me how she can't go to recess because her teacher was getting mad at her for not finishing her work and she had to do it during recess.  Her damn teacher keeping her in during recess!!!  Kids have a stress level that need to be let out by playing.  After talking with my daughter, I concluded that the reason my daughter didn't finish her work, is because she wanted to take her time to make sure her answered were right.  Satine doesn't like making mistakes, she's my little perfectionist.  You all may think I'm over reacting, but what right does a teacher have in punishing my little girl for taking her time on her school work? 

I got so sick and tired of these political and social agendas in the school.  Every month I had a petition shoved in my face about this or that and how something is going against this amendment, or against morality , etc etc.  Letters about government programs starting and ending, how the district is concerend with "scooores!"

I no longer felt my daughters were safe in school.  My daughters teachers seemed like they hated their job and were taking it out on the children.  These are just a few reason why I am so revolted with the public school system.  I don't have time to go on about everything.  Has anyone else experienced such negativity with public schools that you HAD to pull your kids out?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
LadyOphelia
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Yes & no.  More of sick of the politics behind the schooling. Living in FL, everything is based on the FCATs. So they don't teach every subject, only what is on the test for that year. They don't teach & feel secure that the student will know the material....they teach only to test. Then to top it off, rather than teaching them good test taking skills, they freak the kids out at the beginning of the year. I had to teach my son how to take a test (and calm down). Both my kids are advanced, so rather than having an advanced class for them it was their job to help along the slower kids (which means....do the work for the kids having problems).

On top of that, there was bad bullying that the school took a passive soft approach. My son was beat up in Kindergarden on the bus. School did nothing & wanted them to "hug it out". We said we would file charges because he was truely black, blue, bloody and seriously hurt. That at least changed the parent's tune. If you didn't go to the same church or grow up in the area you were an outsider & they treated you as such. It was a PUBLIC school, yet the teachers were enforcing their religious views on my kids.  I flipped out on PRIDE day, when my kids both wore purple to school. They explained why they were & the teacher told them that "gays are going to hell, so you need to get a shirt from lost & found...good people don't support gays".  That being said....my best friend (which my kids call their Uncle) is gay (my kids know it). That really upset them.

THEN the school got it in their heads that uniforms would help the school out. There was the option to request a waiver, which I did. The Super at the time said she didn't care what the rules said, she was not giving a waiver to anyone unless they were Muslim (knowing there are no Muslim families in the area).  The uniforms weren't even uniforms. It was just a color coded dress code that if you were friends with administration, you didn't have to wear. *Update to that....new Super is taking the uniforms out & putting back in place a normal dress code as he noticed that kids were allowed to do as they wished IF they were related/friends with admin & he stated that grades/attitude didn't improve*

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM

This is what I've seen here in our public schools also. When I went to have lunch with my niece, who was in 3rd grade, I saw teachers yelling, screaming, belittling the students. It wasn't just one teacher it was numerous. Now I'm not saying there aren't great PS teachers out there but there are many many that should not be working with kids.

Quoting homeschoolx3:

YES! I cannot tell how many times it was the FACULTY that was rude and disrespectful to the students NOT the other way around, "teachers" screaming at children "you better shut up, or else", and the list goes on. The final straw was the grossly overpaid superintendent hiring his MISTRESS for a job she was not even qualified for. As far as I'm concerned public schools are sh**!

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM

That was only about half of what went on in those few days, there is much more. I was livid and even after I contacted the superintendent of the school system I did not get a return phone call. My husband also called twice and got no response. I then emailed him and finally he called me. He very nicely said to me that my daughter might have "thought" the teacher yanked her arm. I think it's really sad when the school system would rather protect a teacher than believe a child. Yup, never again!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting mom2Bellarose:

Presley77
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM
We will be doing a homeschool as well. I do not approve of public eduction at all. I have a multitude of reasons I do not approve but it's a lot to type. I believe HS will be best for our family and my DD.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KALmommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I live in WA state.

Quoting homeschoolx3:

Quoting KALmommy:

That is what my school principal told us too.  When my son came home doing EXACT same worksheets/workbooks from the year before, I went to the principal and teacher.  They told me some kids didn't master it so everyone was doing it again.  My son was so extremely bored that it was like pulling teeth to get him to go.  I finally said "forget it" and pulled him and my daughter.  Now I am the local "pariah" because our school district is very small (30 kids) and I pulled my kids and then when other parents asked, I told them the truth!  Luckily I have about 5 other homeschooling families (in our very small area)!  :)

Quoting cjsmom1:

I pulled ds out of traditional ps because his needs weren't being met. He's advanced and he spent most of his day sitting in class doing nothing. The principal and counselor actually told me they'd rather hold a kid back then move them forward. Now I'm using k12.

Where do you live?

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

My children have never attended a public school. No, I do not homeschool out of 'disgust' for public schools. Public schools aren't The Great Satan, IMO. They aren't ideal, and many are downright crappy, but some are pretty good, and I believe MOST teachers are in it because they care about kids and love teaching (not for the huge salary, LOL).

Really the state of public schools is waaaaaay down on my list of reasons we homeschool. I have no idea what my local public schools are even like, on the spectrum. It doesn't matter to me. They could be beacons of educating perfection and we still wouldn't use them.

Mojitomommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I pulled my girls from this school for a long list of crap ..
JTE11
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I'm an ex-teacher because I worked in a school but was never allowed to do my job. I was a program-pusher, test-prepper, child-herder and indoctrinator but I was hardly ever a teacher, or what I thought a teacher was supposed to be when I decided to become one. So I left and I'm not going back. I understand why your DD's teachers might have seemed like they hated their jobs. They probably did. Although my DD isn't old enough for school yet I'm going to homeschool her because she isn't going to the public school here. I know what the agenda is, how students are treated, and I won't have it.

amirah827
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Im not against public/private schools but I will say I know my daughter has an advantage being homeschooled. There is a lot of negativity forced on our children in schools there is less control we have especially when principals and teachers become first in line being unconcerned. Our children aren't limited to an age/educational level but a broad path with Homeschooling. My 4 year old is a beginner reader, learning addition/multiplication, writing, and a variety of more subjects.She can be herself and not who her grade says she's supposed to be. I am also saddened at the "supply list" parents receive. If Im providing the classroom supplies how about I supply my home and keep my daughter at home. Good on you for removing your child.
CleanAir1
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I will be begin homeschooling my granddaughter next year.  She is in a wonderful Catholic school, but the cost of tuition has become unmanageable.  Having taught in public schools for 11 years, I hope she never has to darken the door of a public school in our area. 

I agree with those who have stated that the majority of teachers are trying very hard to continue to provide a good education and to show compassion for each child.  However, county and state policies, along with administrators bent on keeping their postions have created an untenable situation.  Every teacher I know would leave the classroom or teaching if the opportunity arose. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)