Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Year round School?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 27 Replies
Do you school year round? Why? How often do you take breaks? Do you do a full schedule during the summer or partial?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I used to school year round, but it just wasn't for us.  Now we go with the public school schedule for the most part.  We enjoy having the long break.  I do know lots of people here do school year round though and will be able to better answer your questions! 

too_nice_momma
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM
We are trying year round this year. Our main reason is dd was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and we've found if we take things slower she can retain more information. So I guess in a nut shell it'd be more like summer school.
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM

We aren't necessarily doing year round.  We will be starting our next year in January of 2014 and work for 9 mos.  This way they get some time off we will do a few unit studies comming into the holidays and then we will start back in January.  Mine will get a 6 month "break" this year. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM

We school year you nd because we are very laid back schoolers. We like schooling for about 2 hours/day. And we can take any day off that strikes our fancy. Generally 2 months per year the kids work on a big independant project while I hunt up supplies for the comming 'term' - generally that's August and December.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
We year round. Gives us way more flexibility :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Yes and love it.  We usually do less in the summer and more biology and nature studies.  It just makes sense for us.  We are child led learners so it makes sense we would be doing the same thing all year long.  Our schedule is different in the summer.  

oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM

no year round schooling here, we take off june july august every year and start back in sept sometime

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Thinking of doing 4 10 week terms with either a week to three weeks off after each. Anyone so that? It will give us 200 days instead of 180.
Gumberly
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
We go year round 4 days a week. For me it reduces stress and allows me to be more flexible about skipping a day here or there. We also do week long breaks.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM

No, we don't school for a whole year.  We do take the summer off, somewhat.  They don't do actual sit down paper work but we are always learning something. We are in a constant state of learning in our family. The kids are always taking on new projects and sometimes they are having to learn a new piece of information or a new technique for any one of their projects they take on.   I am constantly being amazed, though I shouldn't be, at what my kids are learning at any given moment.  Like righht now, my boys are learning how to paper mache a car and a truck with real homemade engines that they have designed and put together themselves.  Its amazing what they are learning.  :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)