Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling at 2nd grade...

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am thinking of homeschooling my son when he starts 2nd grade. He goes to a private school and is currently in kindergarten. It cost 5,000 for the school year and we may be able to get that for next year (we like to pay it all up front to get a discount) but after that we need to save to send DD to kindergarten there.  I have talked to my son and told him how it would be and all and he said yes. He smiled when i told him i can be his teacher her at home and that we will get him a desk and all. He is also the only boy in his class and he is having fun now but I'm sure as they get older the girls will wanna play less and less with him. He is also wanting to write I love yous to some of the girls...

How do i go about finding a homeschooling group? We will be using the A beka curriculum ( its what they use at the school)

I was thinking we would take trips to zoos, science centers, and he can take his piano classes he has been wanting (they are at 10am)

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oredeb
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

hi eddysmom, welcome!

find out your hs law first! http://homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

homeschool groups  http://www.home-school.com/groups/

have you ordered his books yet? abeka is spendy! if your trying to save money buy used! abeka is a good curr. i like the science, history, english, and the little phonics readers!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Hello! 8)

Look under yahoo!groups in your area. You'll find plenty of homeschoolers in your area.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I recommend searching out yahoo groups. It's how I found HS'ers in my area.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

The following link will take you to your State's Home School Association where you can find out about your State Laws and a list of support groups near you.  As other mothers have said, yahoo groups are also helpful in finding support near you.

State Home School Associations (just click on your State to find the links)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Howdy eddysmommy!  A big fat warm Welcome to you.  :)    

You can d a search on Yahoo Groups. Or, you can also do a local search for homeschool groups in your area through your search engine.  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Also, doing a search for 'homeschooling in ___(your state)___' will probably net some results as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)