Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math is such a fight with my dd 9. Not because she doesn't understand it but because I don't think she likes it.  Last year was our first year and we used horizons.That did not go so well. I talked with her about what she wanted in a math curriculum and we decided on Teaching text books. It worked well at first, but now its back to being a fight.  She is my most stubborn child. So not sure what to do- any suggestions welcomed.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Replies (11-17):
leighp1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:04 AM

My first question would be, are you sure she isn't bored?  That tends to make children not want to do their work.  And on the other hand, is the math too hard for her?  She could be rebelling because its too hard.  We have days that math might not be going our way, so when I see her stressing, I just drop the papers (we use internet and CK-12 textbooks from the kindle) and tell her, "okay, we are done with math today"  When she sees that I am understanding, you can see the stress leave her body.  The next day when we go to do math, she is open to it and we work better.  We have only had to stop math a few times and only one day at a time, never skipped it twice in a week. Sometimes I think they need to have a little control.  It makes them feel special. Good luck!

energygirl
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:45 AM

we use abcya.com for some math (they have k-5th grade skills/games on there) to work on areas that my daughter isn't as strong...to her it is games, to me it is practise.  Some days I let her do the games I choose for her....as her only math... (maybe once or twice a week on a lighter day).  I also have found that if we do math right after a snack she is more focused....not sure if that might help (or I'll let her drink a small cup of hot cocoa while doing something she doesn't like.....)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM

There are many ways to learn.  Change it up once in a while.  I use teaching textbooks and life of fred.  We alternate between computer work and reading our math lessons.  Sometimes we even go a completely odd way to learn math.  Never tell her you just have to do it even when it is unpleasant.  There are multiple ways to make math fun.  Try different things until you find something works for her.   It is important for kids to learn Math is everywhere and not just in textbooks.  Math is also very logical.  Lessons in logic can be very helpful.  I am working on creating a creative math class.  Look up various ways to be creative in math.  Maybe have ever other or third day be creative math day.  I guarantee you she will not look at math the same again.

KLove_Mom
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Is there a game or toy she likes that you could turn into math. Does she like legos? She can build a wall, then add or multiply the number of blocks. 
Baking teaches measuring and fractions. you can double or do half a recipe. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Oh no! I was going to try those for next year for 7th grade. What didn't she like?

Quoting Silverkitty:

My daughter HATES Teaching Textbooks.  We are going back to a text book next year, but instead of using a normal middle/high school text we are going to try a college textbook and see how it works for us.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Met a mom at choir last semester.   Her eldest is in his 20's and she has 17 yrs of HSing experience.

She says that once htey get to about 7th grade or so, teaching textbooks is amazing.   She uses Math U see when they are smaller and then switches to TT for the older grades.  

She said she tried many other options, but this is the one that has worked for her kids so far.

Quoting mem82:

Oh no! I was going to try those for next year for 7th grade. What didn't she like?

Quoting Silverkitty:

My daughter HATES Teaching Textbooks.  We are going back to a text book next year, but instead of using a normal middle/high school text we are going to try a college textbook and see how it works for us.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

She doesn't like the auto grading, because she is a perfectionist.  If you get the problem wrong twice they mark it wrong.  I don't mind it, since it tells us where she needs to work more, but I'm not going to use something that makes her hate math.  So since I am comfortable teaching math we are going to go back to what we did before.  Only reason we tried it was I thought she would like someone else to teach her and she wanted to try it.

it's a good program and I'd recommend it, but it isn't for every child.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Silverkitty:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN