Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need some ideas...

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

My brain is in freeze mode. I need some ideas for my co-op classes -

1) anatomy & physiology. I want to focus on muscles & joints next week and I need an idea for a hands on project for the kids. Ideally something they can make in less than an hour. 

2) Ancient Rome & Greece. Again looking for hands on projects. Something aside from warrior gear. 

HELP!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I can't remember your ages, but I used rubber bands and paper towel rolls to show how the muscles contract and relax to move the joints.
The boys made models of the Parthenon, the hippodrome, and the circus maximus out of wooden blocks. They built a road in the playground out of rocks and lime. It's still there!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Yes, I'm trying to find directions for making a joint. The kids in the Calais are between 7-13 y/o.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I can't remember your ages, but I used rubber bands and paper towel rolls to show how the muscles contract and relax to move the joints.
The boys made models of the Parthenon, the hippodrome, and the circus maximus out of wooden blocks. They built a road in the playground out of rocks and lime. It's still there!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I think craft sticks would probably work better than the cardboard rolls. I know there are instructions on the pbs website, but I'm not sure how to find it or make it click on mobile. It's under bps.org/safarchive a part called body builders.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:01 PM

For ancient rome and greece they could make clay models of the roman and greek gods, how they looked in the stories. 

For joints we rubber band balloons to the paper towel roll if you want I can look it up it came from k12 but the kids liked it.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome, I found it! http://www.pbs.org/safarchive/4_class/45_pguides/pguide_1002/44102_builders.html#activity 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I think craft sticks would probably work better than the cardboard rolls. I know there are instructions on the pbs website, but I'm not sure how to find it or make it click on mobile. It's under bps.org/safarchive a part called body builders.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Very awesome! Thanks

Quoting debramommyof4:

For ancient rome and greece they could make clay models of the roman and greek gods, how they looked in the stories. 

For joints we rubber band balloons to the paper towel roll if you want I can look it up it came from k12 but the kids liked it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)