Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm a single parent w/ a 9-5

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:37 AM
  • 20 Replies

So, I've started to notice myself getting overwhelmed with my life. There have been many changes recently with my family and even at my job. I want to do what is best for both me and my son and I know homeschooling is it.

My son is able to stay with my Dad while I am at work. I assign his work the night before and review lessons at night. I have made our school week from Sunday-Thursday because I work 10 hours on Friday and often on Saturday.

A part of me wants to find a job "more suitable" to homeschooling but then I am comfortable with my company and my position and fear if I do change careers that I will hate it and/or resent it.

Any advice? How can I reduce my stress over single parenting/homeschooling & work? Any ideas as to how to "schedule school" around a 9-5

Thanks in advance, ladies!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_AshlynNicole
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't be able to do it. I work a 9-5 and am a single mom, but homeschooling is out of the question. Here's a bump though!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I would definitely look into either more relaxed child-led learning styles, or online things like www.time4learning.com - which takes a lot of the load off of your shoulders. 

ProudMommy51006
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:19 AM
This doesn't make sense to me. How is your child learning anything if you aren't there to teach it? It doesn't sound like YOU are home schooling your child, it sounds like your child is home schooling himself. I thought with home schooling, the parent replaces the teacher? Am I wrong?
mjp2707
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Homeschooling is many different things. There are a lot of kids who teach themselves
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't usually suggests this first but have you considered one of the online public schools. ? It may help to relinquish some of your duties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneDay.
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM
6 moms liked this
I wish this group were private.
mjp2707
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Yes!!!

Quoting OneDay.:

I wish this group were private.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

i'd say keep your job since your dad is helping you out, and you like it!

reduce stress- find a hobby? hahahahaa , how bout get a pet!

maybe once you get use to the new changes and settled in the stress will be less

can you bring your son to work? do they have a daycare ? how old is son?

is there anyway you can have a day or to off work?

i was a single mom for years and homeschooling my 4 kids and had to work

SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

The Robinson Curriculum is almost entirely based on the idea that children should be responsible for their own education. There are a lot of different ways to homeschool.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

This doesn't make sense to me. How is your child learning anything if you aren't there to teach it? It doesn't sound like YOU are home schooling your child, it sounds like your child is home schooling himself. I thought with home schooling, the parent replaces the teacher? Am I wrong?

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

QueenCreole313
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Thanks so much. I know that this can be done. It is definitely a challenge but I know it is what is best for my family. My son is 10. He and my dad do science projects and culinary during the day. I teach our bible lesson in the morning. We do math at night. I think I do need to de stress. Every minutes seems to be planned out to the max.

Quoting oredeb:

i'd say keep your job since your dad is helping you out, and you like it!

reduce stress- find a hobby? hahahahaa , how bout get a pet!

maybe once you get use to the new changes and settled in the stress will be less

can you bring your son to work? do they have a daycare ? how old is son?

is there anyway you can have a day or to off work?

i was a single mom for years and homeschooling my 4 kids and had to work

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)