Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm a single parent w/ a 9-5

So, I've started to notice myself getting overwhelmed with my life. There have been many changes recently with my family and even at my job. I want to do what is best for both me and my son and I know homeschooling is it.

My son is able to stay with my Dad while I am at work. I assign his work the night before and review lessons at night. I have made our school week from Sunday-Thursday because I work 10 hours on Friday and often on Saturday.

A part of me wants to find a job "more suitable" to homeschooling but then I am comfortable with my company and my position and fear if I do change careers that I will hate it and/or resent it.

Any advice? How can I reduce my stress over single parenting/homeschooling & work? Any ideas as to how to "schedule school" around a 9-5

Thanks in advance, ladies!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't really have suggestions, but I wanted to give you a virtual hug after all those people questioning your desicion that homeschooling is best for your child or how you are doing it.  I'm often stressed from over scheduling.  A cup of chamomile tea makes me get all mellow and relaxed.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes me too, but we do get to educate some people here when they stumble onto our little group.  :-)

Quoting mjp2707:

Yes!!!

Quoting OneDay.:

I wish this group were private.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

This doesn't make sense to me. How is your child learning anything if you aren't there to teach it? It doesn't sound like YOU are home schooling your child, it sounds like your child is home schooling himself. I thought with home schooling, the parent replaces the teacher? Am I wrong?

It depends on the family, the child and the situation.  Many children are very capable of teaching and educating themselves.  The classes are run more like college with college-like expectations.  Others use a boxed curriculum or even an online public school with an assigned teacher.  There are many ways to homeschool.

QueenCreole313
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I was thinking if incorporating more unit studies into our weekends. Maybe that way we can cover several subjects at the same time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Anothet suggestion coukd be co-ops or somethin like that. We do classical.conversationa which means they meet once a week and can just use songs and there ia even an ipad ap for them to use kn their own as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting KickButtMama:

I would definitely look into either more relaxed child-led learning styles, or online things like www.time4learning.com - which takes a lot of the load off of your shoulders. 

I would do this & look in to co-ops if your Dad would be willing to take him to stuff like that.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

@ Proudmommy

This is so very true.

I know that when I did my time as a homeschooler, I hated having anyone over my shoulder. I did my work better when my mom left me alone. The only time I needed her was if I didn't understand something, thus she would explain and then leave me to it, so I could get my work done. Which I did.  

Homeschooling can be donoe in a variety of ways.

The reason parents homeschool is not so we can  just   replace the teacher, but so that we can educate in a way that fits the whole family. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

This doesn't make sense to me. How is your child learning anything if you aren't there to teach it? It doesn't sound like YOU are home schooling your child, it sounds like your child is home schooling himself. I thought with home schooling, the parent replaces the teacher? Am I wrong?

It depends on the family, the child and the situation.  Many children are very capable of teaching and educating themselves.  The classes are run more like college with college-like expectations.  Others use a boxed curriculum or even an online public school with an assigned teacher.  There are many ways to homeschool.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM

If you like to cook, you can do  a combination of subjects.  Math, spelling, english. Even science can be applied as you learn how to cook something new. It could be considered an experiment.  :)  You can combine history too. Cook something from another country. And in so doing, you have just applied the basic subjects that need to be taught. On YOUR time. As well as HIS time.  I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. You just need to have a little more faith in your abilities as wwell as his learning capabilities. :)  

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I was thinking if incorporating more unit studies into our weekends. Maybe that way we can cover several subjects at the same time.

undefined

acrogodess
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Teach him mainly on weekends with the weekdays being for independent work and going over things he has trouble with. The beauty of homeschooling is that he does not need to have a "regular" school day.

QueenCreole313
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Awe, Thank you!

happy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN