Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of switching from Abeka... Thoughts on BJU?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 6 Replies

time to start looking into Grade 2 here....

we currently use ABeka Language 1 and Letters & Sounds 2 along with the readers, I personally really like how it is put together but as soon as the work comes out, DD drags out the lessons, what I know should take no longer than 10 - 15 minutes can take an hour.... (only with the work books, she does great with the readers) The only real resistance of our school day.  So I am thinking we need to try something new.

So I looked at BJU and I really liked how English 2 is put together, but what has me confused is the lack of readers?  I am wondering if I am missing something, the reading is found elsewhere I the curric.?  Thinking of using the BJU for spelling and cursive as well.

thoughts on the BJU for language?

thanks in advance!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM

my favortie bju english book has always been 3rd grade! its the book i started all the kids in for language arts! then we'd go on to rod and staff

in the bju workbooks they have a section for journal writing thats my favorite part!

its a workbook just like abeka, so wont she be dragging out the lessons with it also?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Way back when, when I first started to homeschool, was the only time I have ever contemplated buying a program and it just happened to be BJU.  Not sure if it is different from then to now, though.  

calimom1123
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM
We switched from abeka 3 to bju this year. Dd was ahead(she did some cle language too), so she is doing grade 5 bju this year(shes in 4th). I have really liked the writing chapters and how they alternate them. She is learning how to write well. Im not sure about the younger grades but we like it. Next year though im debating on bju(expensive!). We might go with ACE because at 6th grade level it gets thorough and its easier for me to teach. If not we will probably do bju or abeka again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
padavali
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM

The part thatI think makes my daughter drag her feet with Abeka is all of the busy work, hoping thA BJU is different in that aspect....

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

We use BJU 4 for English and BJU Reading 4 "I Met You in a Story".  We like both.  I like that the English alternates chapters on writing and grammar.  Each lesson has 2 pages of work.

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Both programs have built in "busy" work, because they were both designed for a classroom. And they are both traditional type of programs. Of the 2, ad we have used both, I much prefer BJU. We used Abeka in 1st and 2nd with my youngest and he retained very little. I moved into a Charlotte Mason style approach for his language and he flurished! Lots of copy work, read alouds, narration, dictation and very gentle grammar lessons. But, he still struggled in spelling for a couple years until I added in BJU's spelling workbooks. Those were awesome for him! He did really well with their spelling and has had very little problem in that area since. So, it could have been a combination of him maturing and then finding a good fit as far as curriculum.

Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)