Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is the lamest reason?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

What is the lamest reason someone has given as to why you shouldn't hs?

I was told this yesterday and I just had to share the lamest reason I've ever heard about why I should send my kids back to school.  An uncle of my dh is also a former public school gym teacher.  While we were together over Thanksgiving all the kids in the family did this craft together where they pushed out perferated turkeys.  My youngest 2 had trouble with this activity (to be fair they are only 4 and 5).  They kept ripping the turkey at the neck.

When I was on the phone with said uncle yesterday evening he told me that my kids had problems with perferations because they are not in public school!

Since in publis school they have to tear out each worksheet that they do by themselves but I rip out each of my kids worksheets and put it in their daily folder, they will apparently NEVER learn to tear out perforated sheets.  O.M.G!  and he was totally serious about it!

So how about it, what's the lamest reasoning you've ever heard?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Someone once told me that I was already too busy to handle it.

My response, "Um, excuse me. How do you know what I do and don't have time for? Since I'm so short on time, I guess I'll stop talking to you". 

Click.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JuicyRedTomato:

Someone once told me that I was already too busy to handle it.

My response, "Um, excuse me. How do you know what I do and don't have time for? Since I'm so short on time, I guess I'll stop talking to you". 

Click.

I'm never that quick!!  LOL

I always just stammer with my mouth open. 

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM
2 moms liked this

No one has had the courage to tell me to my face that I shouldn't homeschool.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't dream of it! One day I'll probably be in that boat too. Right now it's still too new.

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Well I am known in our family for speaking my mind & what comes out isn't always PC, so I think they are afraid of what I will say back to them if they say something to me about it. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah, I wouldn't dream of it! One day I'll probably be in that boat too. Right now it's still too new.

Quoting usmom3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I have actually been told that I am not smart enough to homeschool my children let alone have the amount of kids that I do.  lol  At that time I only had 6. ahahaha 

oredeb
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:17 PM
2 moms liked this

well blue it looks as if you've failed the poor kids! you'd better start a class for perferated turkey necks!! geeeze i still have trouble tearing those things out! im always ripping them!

Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Dh has criticized me, because there have been times I used improper grammar in my speaking (yes, I know I shouldn't). I'm not perfect, but does he really think they will get a better grammar lesson from their peers? (btw, I graduated with a BA to become a teacher). Also, I shouldn't homeschool because I have a lot of typos on facebook.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
bekalynne440
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, socialization.

I went to public school for 13 years. I didn't start to learn how to socialize till college. I still struggle with it.

I think most parents expect it to just happen in public school instead of actively teaching skills and providing opportunity in different settings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I was told my one of my kids skating coaches that I am depriving them of a normal childhood.  Schools have so much to offer.  REALLY!!!!  I want to know exactly what you think my girls are missing.  They are well educated, polite, social young ladies who enjoy a few extra curriculars.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN