Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is the lamest reason someone has given as to why you shouldn't hs?

I was told this yesterday and I just had to share the lamest reason I've ever heard about why I should send my kids back to school.  An uncle of my dh is also a former public school gym teacher.  While we were together over Thanksgiving all the kids in the family did this craft together where they pushed out perferated turkeys.  My youngest 2 had trouble with this activity (to be fair they are only 4 and 5).  They kept ripping the turkey at the neck.

When I was on the phone with said uncle yesterday evening he told me that my kids had problems with perferations because they are not in public school!

Since in publis school they have to tear out each worksheet that they do by themselves but I rip out each of my kids worksheets and put it in their daily folder, they will apparently NEVER learn to tear out perforated sheets.  O.M.G!  and he was totally serious about it!

So how about it, what's the lamest reasoning you've ever heard?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Replies (41-50):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting MammaG08:

Ha!  That is pretty lame.   Your poor kids; not knowing how to tear out perferated material at ages 4 and 5.  How will they ever become productive, competent citizens?  Gag. 

Anyway, the lamest reason I have recieved thus far was from my sister in law, who told me last summer that I should send my kids to public schools so they can be bullied and learn how to problem solve from that.  What?!  Trying to keep all the composure I could (I do have to see her for the rest of my life), I explained that there are lots of other ways my children can learn to problem solve than to be bullied at school.  Wow. 

Problem solving for bullying?  In my childhood that meant waiting until the teacher wasn't around and punching out the kid that did the tormenting.  Looking at the movies that center around middle school aged kids, I would say I am not alone in that idea.  So here's the question I have for the person who believes that those "problem solving skills" will work in the adult world.... if you punch the bully at work, what will happen to you?  The answer should be that you will go to jail, so therefore the lesson you learn in dealing with bullies in middle school just doesn't translate to the adult workplace!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Those are all pretty funny.  The only child one I've heard before too.  I have even felt that way a bit.  Not that someone else shouldn't have an only child, but just that they remember to teach sharing.  If that makes sense.  We just need to be aware of the things that might be an issue, and remember to solve those sticky spots.

Quoting MessedUpMama:

It was addressed to me, but I did hear one lady say that people shouldn't homeschool their kids. She said it wasn't fair. When pressed why it wasn't fair, she said "If I have to get up to get my kids on the bus, then so should everyone else." LOL

I've also heard "How will they learn to share?" that one came from the same person who said the same thing about why my cousin shouldn't have an only child.

"They will be spoiled and won't be able to function in a real school when you decide you can't do it any more."

"Only weird religious people homeschool!"

"You don't have enough education, how will you teach math and science?" A Bachelors in social science with A's in all my Math and Science classes doesn't count I guess.

JTE11
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Well, I know a lot of teachers so I think they suspect homeschooling is just this side of the actual devil and we're all conspiring and teaching our kids revolutionary things to take down society as we know it. They throw all of their being into believing in the schools they work for so they can't understand why that woudln't be what I want. Ah well.  Maybe when DD doesn't grow up to be maladjusted they'll relax a bit!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Wow, that's by far the lamest reason I've heard. I have had people tell me that my DD risks becoming a sociopath if I hs her because of the lack of social contact. Sure, because I'm going to keep her locked in a dark closet while I do it, eesh.

WOW!  I've never heard anything that extreme!

awilliams77
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

But what about....prom!

haha

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

That really cracked me up.  I WAS a teacher.  So I kind of pictured darth vader... Come to the dark side.  We have literature class in our pajamas and don't have to deal with the administration!  Bwaahaahaahaa!

Quoting JTE11:

Well, I know a lot of teachers so I think they suspect homeschooling is just this side of the actual devil and we're all conspiring and teaching our kids revolutionary things to take down society as we know it. They throw all of their being into believing in the schools they work for so they can't understand why that woudln't be what I want. Ah well.  Maybe when DD doesn't grow up to be maladjusted they'll relax a bit!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Wow, that's by far the lamest reason I've heard. I have had people tell me that my DD risks becoming a sociopath if I hs her because of the lack of social contact. Sure, because I'm going to keep her locked in a dark closet while I do it, eesh.

WOW!  I've never heard anything that extreme!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM

LOL ---  You don't have to worry about saying anything. What could you say? I have gotten over it by now.  This is only one of the many words that have been said. Also one of the many reasons I have learned to be so tough and as matter-of-fact as I am now.  :)  I can look back and realize that the people who say things like this just have no clue and most likely will never have a clue. Why else would they say and be, so cruel, in the first place.  And as usmom has said a few times herself, I do not have the time nor the patience to try and help them to understand.  These type of people don't want to understand. So, why even waste my precious time and energy on them when that can be focused on those who can be shown?   

Yeah, people can be crazy.  :)   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

I have actually been told that I am not smart enough to homeschool my children let alone have the amount of kids that I do.  lol  At that time I only had 6. ahahaha 

I don't even know what to say to that!  SMH.  Some people are a bit crazy, huh? 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Eek!  I can't even fathom someone who wouldn't want to understand a different perspective.  And I don't want to fathom it either.  There are some really crazy reasons out there.  I'm glad most of the craziest reasons out there are so easy to disprove.  :-)  I mean the proof is in the pudding with your kids, easy to prove you are quite capable of giving your children every thing they need.

Quoting kirbymom:

LOL ---  You don't have to worry about saying anything. What could you say? I have gotten over it by now.  This is only one of the many words that have been said. Also one of the many reasons I have learned to be so tough and as matter-of-fact as I am now.  :)  I can look back and realize that the people who say things like this just have no clue and most likely will never have a clue. Why else would they say and be, so cruel, in the first place.  And as usmom has said a few times herself, I do not have the time nor the patience to try and help them to understand.  These type of people don't want to understand. So, why even waste my precious time and energy on them when that can be focused on those who can be shown?   

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

I have actually been told that I am not smart enough to homeschool my children let alone have the amount of kids that I do.  lol  At that time I only had 6. ahahaha 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM

You betchya.  My kids show that on a daily basis.  After having to *prove* this to so many, and they have seen the results for themselves, all those who are against me and my way of living, just resort to giving me mumbles and dirty looks anymore.  lol   That is a comfort for me, along with ladies like you and in this group. :)  You ladies show me there are people out there who have an open mind and realize that there are different ways to living life and that you  just might want to try one of those different ways sometime.  :)  That and my family and my faith.  :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Eek!  I can't even fathom someone who wouldn't want to understand a different perspective.  And I don't want to fathom it either.  There are some really crazy reasons out there.  I'm glad most of the craziest reasons out there are so easy to disprove.  :-)  I mean the proof is in the pudding with your kids, easy to prove you are quite capable of giving your children every thing they need.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Too funny!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

What's really great is that I've found my kids get to see more ways to live because we homeschool, which is so contrary to what others believe.  I think their minds are much more open to other ways of living because we homeschool and they get to see those other ways of living.  They get to see the city when we go visit the museums, they get to see beach life when we go there, and hopefully we get to visit St Kitts and see a bit of life outside the US soon.  I'm hoping these ideas stay with them as they grow up.  I always feel such pity for people who can only think in terms of their own lives.  It's really nice to see how others live here.  The city mice who don't like the country, the homesteaders, the suburban "soccer moms,"  we really do get a flavor of each in our group here.

Quoting kirbymom:

You betchya.  My kids show that on a daily basis.  After having to *prove* this to so many, and they have seen the results for themselves, all those who are against me and my way of living, just resort to giving me mumbles and dirty looks anymore.  lol   That is a comfort for me, along with ladies like you and in this group. :)  You ladies show me there are people out there who have an open mind and realize that there are different ways to living life and that you  just might want to try one of those different ways sometime.  :)  That and my family and my faith.  :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN