Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the lamest reason someone has given as to why you shouldn't hs?

I was told this yesterday and I just had to share the lamest reason I've ever heard about why I should send my kids back to school.  An uncle of my dh is also a former public school gym teacher.  While we were together over Thanksgiving all the kids in the family did this craft together where they pushed out perferated turkeys.  My youngest 2 had trouble with this activity (to be fair they are only 4 and 5).  They kept ripping the turkey at the neck.

When I was on the phone with said uncle yesterday evening he told me that my kids had problems with perferations because they are not in public school!

Since in publis school they have to tear out each worksheet that they do by themselves but I rip out each of my kids worksheets and put it in their daily folder, they will apparently NEVER learn to tear out perforated sheets.  O.M.G!  and he was totally serious about it!

So how about it, what's the lamest reasoning you've ever heard?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

what!? THat's rediculous! BTW when mien were in ps they dind't tear anything out of workbooks, they left it in or it was a photo copy. I've not heard many out of the ordinary ones, mainly the social  ones.

BabyFruit Ticker

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I forgot about that one! My parents told me that I wasn't smart enough because I barely made it through school myself.(I struggled because I have add &  dyslexia that was ignored as a child. Oh & not to mention we moved a LOT.)

Quoting kirbymom:

I have actually been told that I am not smart enough to homeschool my children let alone have the amount of kids that I do.  lol  At that time I only had 6. ahahaha 

BabyFruit Ticker

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Someone told me that the one on one time I have with my daughter wasn't as good as sitting in a class full of kids and one teacher.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I've head people rant about hs in general, not knowing that we were doing it. Usually, it's something to the effect that most hs'ers are uneducated fundamentalists who don't want their kids to learn anything 'real.'

So I smile and trot out my degrees and DH's degrees, tell them what DD wants to do, and how we're accomodating her interests.

Then they have to backtrack and go, "Well, I'm sure *you're* doing a fine job."

It's fun watching them trip over themselves in retreat. *gg*

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM

That kids need to to go school to learn how to take turns and wait in line

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. That is a dumb reason.

DS is 21 months - I get the socialization excuse a lot. What's funny is people think he should be in day care or pre-preschool now 'for socialization'. Right, because 12 kids age 0-2 & 3 adults makes for great socialization. SMH
collinsmommy0
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah that totally makes sense (sarcasm). That's like people telling me I should send my 21 month old to day care for socialization

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Someone told me that the one on one time I have with my daughter wasn't as good as sitting in a class full of kids and one teacher.
sithmama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM

My husband went into H&R Block before Christmas to get the Emerald Loan. He had to explain to the person helping him that our kids were full time students but homeschooled. The woman (whom he'd never seen before in his life) asked him why and he just said he gave her some offhand reason like "we just felt it was best for our family." She then tells him "Well you really should send them to public school. It's just better." He said he felt like slapping her. lol 

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a really lame reason lol! I still have trouble with perforations if they're not done well or really thick paper and I was a PS kid...

So far only my sister has said anything although I'm sure we'll get more opposition in the future, and of course her reason was socialization. Oh, and "she's going to hate you."

CafeMom Tickers
JTE11
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that's by far the lamest reason I've heard. I have had people tell me that my DD risks becoming a sociopath if I hs her because of the lack of social contact. Sure, because I'm going to keep her locked in a dark closet while I do it, eesh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)