Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is the lamest reason someone has given as to why you shouldn't hs?

I was told this yesterday and I just had to share the lamest reason I've ever heard about why I should send my kids back to school.  An uncle of my dh is also a former public school gym teacher.  While we were together over Thanksgiving all the kids in the family did this craft together where they pushed out perferated turkeys.  My youngest 2 had trouble with this activity (to be fair they are only 4 and 5).  They kept ripping the turkey at the neck.

When I was on the phone with said uncle yesterday evening he told me that my kids had problems with perferations because they are not in public school!

Since in publis school they have to tear out each worksheet that they do by themselves but I rip out each of my kids worksheets and put it in their daily folder, they will apparently NEVER learn to tear out perforated sheets.  O.M.G!  and he was totally serious about it!

So how about it, what's the lamest reasoning you've ever heard?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
MessedUpMama
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:50 PM

It was addressed to me, but I did hear one lady say that people shouldn't homeschool their kids. She said it wasn't fair. When pressed why it wasn't fair, she said "If I have to get up to get my kids on the bus, then so should everyone else." LOL

I've also heard "How will they learn to share?" that one came from the same person who said the same thing about why my cousin shouldn't have an only child.

"They will be spoiled and won't be able to function in a real school when you decide you can't do it any more."

"Only weird religious people homeschool!"

"You don't have enough education, how will you teach math and science?" A Bachelors in social science with A's in all my Math and Science classes doesn't count I guess.

MammaG08
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Ha!  That is pretty lame.   Your poor kids; not knowing how to tear out perferated material at ages 4 and 5.  How will they ever become productive, competent citizens?  Gag. 

Anyway, the lamest reason I have recieved thus far was from my sister in law, who told me last summer that I should send my kids to public schools so they can be bullied and learn how to problem solve from that.  What?!  Trying to keep all the composure I could (I do have to see her for the rest of my life), I explained that there are lots of other ways my children can learn to problem solve than to be bullied at school.  Wow. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM

They will never learn to stand in line.  They will not have any friends.

paris2lmp
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I just recently started hsing and the most common objection is "socializing".  Something I noticed almost immediately though:  without the distraction of "socializing" with other kids, my boys, and especially my youngest, are excelling much quicker than I ever imagined!  My 6 yo (who was placing at an "average" or slightly below average level on ALL of his tests) is actually ready to start 1st grade math!  He is reading much quicker already too!  I realized that he was simply being distracted by the other kids in school, and not focusing as much on learning because he was socializing instead!

Not to say they don't have friends, because of course that IS important.  They still get together and play with other children and my boys have no issues where socializing is concerned.  Its just that now they have time to focus on learning and a seperate time to focus on friends.

Quoting bekalynne440:

Honestly, socialization.

I went to public school for 13 years. I didn't start to learn how to socialize till college. I still struggle with it.

I think most parents expect it to just happen in public school instead of actively teaching skills and providing opportunity in different settings.

paris2lmp
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM

The lamest reasons?  I haven't gotten any too bad so far, but I am only 2 weeks in!  So far I have gotten:

"Don't you think they need friends?" and an offhanded comment about my general lack of organization skills.  It wasn't really a DIRECT comment as to why I shouldn't hs, it was more insinuated.  "Well, I know it would take an aweful lot of organizing and planning ahead, and I know that isn't really one of your strong suits.  Are you sure you can handle it?"  (Not a direct quote btw, but it was something to that effect.) 

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM
This is our first year hs so I've not heard too many negative tbings yet. The only one I've heard so far is socialization. Then, tbey meet my daughter. She is only six but she will talk your head off. She will talk to anyone, kids and adults. Two years ago I had a special ed teacher, who came to our church one day, tell me that she was very intelligent. She said that there are not many four year olds who can carry on a conversation with adults the way she did.

My boys are much quieter. They have been in ps until this year and they are in 9th grade..lol
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM
The only comments I have gotten are my dd should be put in public school to be socialized. This said by my dh's brother who dropped out and stays locked in his room for 12hrs playing video games. And a comment about how would I teach her a specific subject if I didn't know it myself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I haven't had really had any comments about hsing so far. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM
BWAHAHAHA! Lol that is great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Precious333:

Dh has criticized me, because there have been times I used improper grammar in my speaking (yes, I know I shouldn't). I'm not perfect, but does he really think they will get a better grammar lesson from their peers? (btw, I graduated with a BA to become a teacher). Also, I shouldn't homeschool because I have a lot of typos on facebook.

Ha!  I'm a trained English teacher and some days I use improper grammar!  Shhh,don't tell!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN