Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is the lamest reason someone has given as to why you shouldn't hs?

I was told this yesterday and I just had to share the lamest reason I've ever heard about why I should send my kids back to school.  An uncle of my dh is also a former public school gym teacher.  While we were together over Thanksgiving all the kids in the family did this craft together where they pushed out perferated turkeys.  My youngest 2 had trouble with this activity (to be fair they are only 4 and 5).  They kept ripping the turkey at the neck.

When I was on the phone with said uncle yesterday evening he told me that my kids had problems with perferations because they are not in public school!

Since in publis school they have to tear out each worksheet that they do by themselves but I rip out each of my kids worksheets and put it in their daily folder, they will apparently NEVER learn to tear out perforated sheets.  O.M.G!  and he was totally serious about it!

So how about it, what's the lamest reasoning you've ever heard?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Replies (31-40):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Quoting kirbymom:

I have actually been told that I am not smart enough to homeschool my children let alone have the amount of kids that I do.  lol  At that time I only had 6. ahahaha 

I don't even know what to say to that!  SMH.  Some people are a bit crazy, huh? 

doriselm
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

That is what I get all the time, but my response to that is, do I really want my children to socialize with kids who have major problems and I won't find out until it's too late, or put them with a teacher who has favorites, or has other things in mind besides teaching? And then I have no control, won't know about this until my children have been damaged? Worst case scenereo, but it happens all the time. In my school my children are both my favorites and I teach them to socialize and when they are old enough, like close to college they will then be mature enough to exclude troublemakers. Plus they socialize a lot in the groups they belong to. That usually is too much information :) and I get nothing else negative, except maybe if you think that is better for your children. This is how I respond now, but in the beginning I was not sure what to say, but gathered information people in this group gave and put it together. And I can feel good about my response it since it is the truth, so no guilty feeling. Thank you all.

Quoting bekalynne440:

Honestly, socialization.

I went to public school for 13 years. I didn't start to learn how to socialize till college. I still struggle with it.

I think most parents expect it to just happen in public school instead of actively teaching skills and providing opportunity in different settings.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Someone told me that the one on one time I have with my daughter wasn't as good as sitting in a class full of kids and one teacher.

I've heard that one before too.  It was something like, in a class full of other kids they get to see more than one way to do a problem or something like that.  Silly!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

That's always great!  I've had that experience too.  "Oh but you are a "real" teacher."  Or "Oh, but I know you wouldn't let THAT happen to your kids."  Too funny!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I've head people rant about hs in general, not knowing that we were doing it. Usually, it's something to the effect that most hs'ers are uneducated fundamentalists who don't want their kids to learn anything 'real.'

So I smile and trot out my degrees and DH's degrees, tell them what DD wants to do, and how we're accomodating her interests.

Then they have to backtrack and go, "Well, I'm sure *you're* doing a fine job."

It's fun watching them trip over themselves in retreat. *gg*

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Quoting sha_lyn68:

That kids need to to go school to learn how to take turns and wait in line

Ha!  My 3 kids know all about taking turns!

katinahat
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I've been told that my daughter won't get picked on and learn to be tough. Oh okay, because bullying is such a healthy experience.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Quoting JTE11:

Wow, that's by far the lamest reason I've heard. I have had people tell me that my DD risks becoming a sociopath if I hs her because of the lack of social contact. Sure, because I'm going to keep her locked in a dark closet while I do it, eesh.

WOW!  I've never heard anything that extreme!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Quoting katinahat:

I've been told that my daughter won't get picked on and learn to be tough. Oh okay, because bullying is such a healthy experience.

We pulled my oldest son because of bullying, so I heard that many times in the beginning.  I should have let him in the system so that he would learn not to care what others think.  The saddest part is that the teacher condoned the torment.  She said that if I sent "normal" food in for his lunch, he wouldn't be picked on.  That's a really horrible reason, but even worse is what it says about our society in general!  What kind of society believes that children should be bullied?

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

LOL....The funniest thing is that not long after we were at an all day Girl Scout even. While waiting in line for lunch we noticed that it was our homeschool troop that knew how to wait in line instead of rushing the food counter and grabbing trays of food out of the servers hands.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

LOL....The funniest thing is that not long after we were at an all day Girl Scout even. While waiting in line for lunch we noticed that it was our homeschool troop that knew how to wait in line instead of rushing the food counter and grabbing trays of food out of the servers hands.

We've noticed that during our Bible School weeks in the summer.  The homeschool kids will let people through, thank the servers, and excuse themselves much more than the ps kids.  Might just be bias, but even the servers commented on it and they are sweet little old ladies that I doubt would have thought the homeschool kids would have been the polite ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN