Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

done "homeschooling".

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
I want to unschool my children.

So I was hoping some unschooling mamas would tell me about their experience.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:08 PM

There are some newer post on unschooling if you want to read them & see if that gives you a little incite.

We unschool ask all the questions you need I will try to answer them the best that I can.

birthymom4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM
I have read, and read about it...I more just want everybody point of view :)
jynkx
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

in a nut shell, what is unschooling?  i have heard about it but dont really understand it.  can you tell me about it?

Quoting usmom3:

There are some newer post on unschooling if you want to read them & see if that gives you a little incite.

We unschool ask all the questions you need I will try to answer them the best that I can.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I can tell you what unschooling is for our family, it is different for every family that dose it just like homeschooling is different for every family.

For us unschooling is having the confidence in our children that they will learn the things they need to know when they need to know them. Our goal in unschooling is for them to learn how to learn so that no matter what they do in life they will have the basic tools to learn how to do it. My husband & I set the exsample ourselves by expanding our knowledge on a daily bases, our children see us constantly learning & researching things that interest us. We are never satisfied with what we know we are always looking for more up to date information. I spend a lot of my time looking for things that my kids might find useful & interesting to help them expand their minds & knowledge, we use everything that the modern world offers as tools to learn & help them learn, nothing is restricted in use because we believe that everything has educational value to it.

I hope this has helped if you want more information please ask more specific questions so that I may be more helpful.

Quoting jynkx:

in a nut shell, what is unschooling?  i have heard about it but dont really understand it.  can you tell me about it?

Quoting usmom3:

birthymom4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
What do people say when you tell them your unschoolers? How did your family react?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Unschooling basically means you have no set schedule of specific plans. You find something that inrtersts you and learn about it. In do so, you will probably take a million gajillion little bunny rabbit trails learning all new sorts of things while still learning the original interest.  Thus expanding your knowledge and education. When doing school in this way, you may end up combining multiple subjects into one.  Always learning, expanding and most of all, enjoying the learning process itself.  :)   

Quoting jynkx:

Quoting usmom3:

undefined

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't tell just anyone that we unschool because I don't have the time to explain it to everyone. The few people that I have told ask a lot of questions, I explain it the best I can & tell them to look it up on the Internet if they want know more.

I had to explain it to my family too & there was some reservations from them of coarse because it was so different then the norm. Now though I get comments from them like "Your kids know things I didn't know until I was an adult" or "They use words that I didn't know until I was an adult" or "Your kids are so articulate for their ages" & "They are so smart".

Quoting birthymom4:

What do people say when you tell them your unschoolers? How did your family react?

birthymom4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Quoting usmom3:

Wouldn't it be better to tell people? That way it's more understood?
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Yes it would, unfortunately not everyone is open & receptive to something so extremely different from what they know & I don't always have the time or patience to educate them.

Quoting birthymom4:

Quoting usmom3:

Wouldn't it be better to tell people? That way it's more understood?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jynkx
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:30 PM

how old are your kids?  does your state make all students in that state do state testing?  here they do, whether its public, private, or homeschool.  

Quoting usmom3:

I can tell you what unschooling is for our family, it is different for every family that dose it just like homeschooling is different for every family.

For us unschooling is having the confidence in our children that they will learn the things they need to know when they need to know them. Our goal in unschooling is for them to learn how to learn so that no matter what they do in life they will have the basic tools to learn how to do it. My husband & I set the exsample ourselves by expanding our knowledge on a daily bases, our children see us constantly learning & researching things that interest us. We are never satisfied with what we know we are always looking for more up to date information. I spend a lot of my time looking for things that my kids might find useful & interesting to help them expand their minds & knowledge, we use everything that the modern world offers as tools to learn & help them learn, nothing is restricted in use because we believe that everything has educational value to it.

I hope this has helped if you want more information please ask more specific questions so that I may be more helpful.

Quoting jynkx:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)