Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help with 4 1/2 yr old

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 13 Replies
I am not concerned, but dh really doesnt want the kids to be behind. He asked me yesterday if Gavin should be reading already. I told him thay right now we are just working on letters and sounds, but to be honest we dont do much often. Somtimes we will.use blocks, or starfall or leapfrog movies.....but not often enough it seems and he really doesnt know them that well, and doesnt seem bery interested like my first was. Im interested in any suggestions and opinions. Thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OneDay.
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM

My oldest is still in public school right now, she is in first grade. When she started kindergarten, at age 5, they started with the very basics, assuming that none of the kids knew how to read. They start with a letter and its sounds and work from there. So, I do not think that he should be reading yet or that he is behind, nor would they expect him to in public schools. 

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

As long as you are reading, talking to & engaging with him he is learning. Also remember that not all kids learn to read at the same time, the range of ages that children can learn to read are as young as 2 or 3 all the way up to 12, it really depends on the child.

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Kids are different. My oldest was reading before his 4th birthday. My younger just had "blending" click this week and she will be 5 in June. Now that she has the concept, I will start a phonics curriculum.

That said, our local school does not teach reading until K....and then its only 100 sight words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Yeah, i wasny ready until latet but it was pushed in school. Thats one reason i wanted to homeschool. However its hafd becausd dh just doesnt get it. I do want to make sure to create opportunities as well.

Quoting usmom3:

As long as you are reading, talking to & engaging with him he is learning. Also remember that not all kids learn to read at the same time, the range of ages that children can learn to read are as young as 2 or 3 all the way up to 12, it really depends on the child.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

There are tones of things that you can add to your day that could help. Singing the alphabet song while looking at flash cards, playing a scavenger hunt game for letters, watching videos like leapfrog, playing websites like starfall & educational apps. These are just a few things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Quoting Precious333:

Yeah, i wasny ready until latet but it was pushed in school. Thats one reason i wanted to homeschool. However its hafd becausd dh just doesnt get it. I do want to make sure to create opportunities as well.

Quoting usmom3:

oredeb
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM

those magnified numbers and letters using a cookie sheet are fun, make some games out of it

teach him the abc song

show him how to write the first letter in his name in sand or with a pencil and decorate it

if its a name you can sound out teach him the sounds using recipe cards for each letter

bunch of ideas on here for him  http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/

use objects to count with (m and Ms) much more intereesting!

examine bugs out side, using magnifing glass(dollar store) also use a drawing pad to let him draw wht your looking at, colored pencils to color or draw it with, check out books at library on that bug and read to him , ask him questions, make a large sized one with movable parts, teach him the names of thge parts

Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM

thanks! he has been practicing doing writing his name when he big brother practices writing, but these are so much more fun and creative (and he is my creative one!) Today I decided to do math outside with chalk and so I did some problems for my older one and he asked to do some as well. So I drew 3 balls + 1 ball= and we wrote 4!!!! Then I did addition proiblems up to 5 and I was surpised he could do them all! I'm so proud of him!!! :)

Thank you for these resources! I will be doing them!!! :)

Quoting oredeb:

those magnified numbers and letters using a cookie sheet are fun, make some games out of it

teach him the abc song

show him how to write the first letter in his name in sand or with a pencil and decorate it

if its a name you can sound out teach him the sounds using recipe cards for each letter

bunch of ideas on here for him  http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/

use objects to count with (m and Ms) much more intereesting!

examine bugs out side, using magnifing glass(dollar store) also use a drawing pad to let him draw wht your looking at, colored pencils to color or draw it with, check out books at library on that bug and read to him , ask him questions, make a large sized one with movable parts, teach him the names of thge parts

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
collinsmommy0
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:30 PM
I live in a high academic area. The Kinders are expected to know all letters & letter sounds, know how to blend simple words, and know how to read some sight words. They also should know how to write their letters, numbers, and their name. Pre-preschool starting at age 1 is the norm.

You enter kinder not knowing that and you are already behind. Which is partly why I want to homeschool DS in the early grades.

I wouldn't be worried at 4.5 but I would be teaching the letters, numbers & some sounds.
Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Wow.....thata crazy! I use to work at a preschool.and at age 3 they started them on worksheet to learn letters and hoq to write them, and at age 4 they were writing words. I thought thar age was way too young for formal schooling and worksheets

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I live in a high academic area. The Kinders are expected to know all letters & letter sounds, know how to blend simple words, and know how to read some sight words. They also should know how to write their letters, numbers, and their name. Pre-preschool starting at age 1 is the norm.

You enter kinder not knowing that and you are already behind. Which is partly why I want to homeschool DS in the early grades.

I wouldn't be worried at 4.5 but I would be teaching the letters, numbers & some sounds.

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I think ALL kids learn to read just before her 4 th birthday.  She started reading in mid May.  She is now nearing a 3rd grade reading level with the comprehension of a late first grader.  I think if you start working on what the vowel sounds are and when he knows those, start adding a consonant at a time and blend them (ta, te, ti, to, tu).  You get the picture.  This is what made it click for my LO.  She knew her letter sounds at an early age and was "trying" to read by 2, but didn't have the blending down.  Your guy isn't behind he is right on track for him.  LOL  Also, glad to hear that is brain has decided that he likes math and seems to be good at it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN